on 20 May 2012
As an avid home cook borderline frustrated chef I love a good cook book! I don't just buy them and have a great line up just for show in the kitchen either, (You know, like people who have a lovely guitar on a display stand but can't strum a single chord!), I like cookery books I can actually use. This is definitely one of those books.

Nigella writes here as though she is actually with you (nice thought!) it is her talking you through the preperation and cooking techniques in good old plain english. There are no lovely foodie pics in here but passionate descriptions as only Nigella can let roll off her tongue. She's not afraid of food either, plenty of butter, cream, cheeese to go around and she likes a beer according to some of the recipies, good stuff indeed. Put it this way. . .out of 474 pages there is a section called Low Fat of some 37-ish pages! My kind of food :)

There's something for everyone, covering all the seasons and mealtimes- breakfast, lunch and dinner (tea oop north!) and supper, snacks and anything inbetween as there always is in our house! We eat meals between meals without ruining our appetites!

I love the wording of the meals such as "Camp, but only slightly, dinner for 6" or "Summer dinner with Wintery possibilites for 8", brilliant! I know a few lads for the camp option. Oof!

Some dishes I like personally that have gone down well would be. . .

Lemon ice cream (no fancy pants ice cream maker required)
Proust's Madeleines (you'll need Madeleine tins of course)
Sunday night chicken noodle

She covers all the basics too, such as making stock and salad dressings, flavouring oil, making mayonnaise, custard and of course there is a basic white loaf recipie at the beginning. Near the back there are recipies for children and babies so she's covered more or less most peoples wants.

So, this is a great book, not a recipie book but more of a manual guiding you with little hints and tips along the way. Not just just giving you a list of ingredients and letting you find your own way around.

Here you have Nigella showing you the ropes! Ooer!
on 25 September 2017
Bought this book to replace,an old one I had,that was unfortunately damaged,
Great book ,got at good price,compared to my old one,
Happy customer.
on 6 May 2014
It is a few years since I bought this book. In that time it has been well used with lots of good recipes, and some unusual suggestions - like using full fat coke for the ham. It really works! The book I also a good read - I love her tongue in cheek humour - it is not a 'list of ingredients followed by method' type of book.
on 18 July 2017
Great book, a staple of any good british kitchen, excellent quality.
on 22 September 2017
Bought as a present. They liked it. So I guess its good.
on 9 October 2017
As described
on 15 March 2001
There was one reason and one reason alone that I HAD to have this book - Nigella's "Birthday Cake", a stupendous chocolate cake that tastes and looks like it took hours to make but is SO simple that even I can make it. She also tells you how to feed your little people and I have used many recipes for my little one to his (and my) great delight. Not only is it a great cookbook, but it's an extremely well written insight into Nigella's life and her thoughts about food and all the connotations that go with it. She's the new Delia and I'm very proud to have her book in my kitchen! I will be buying How to be a Domestic Goddess (or somebody will be buying it for me!!).
on 3 September 2007
I bought this book last year and the one thing that had put me off was that there were no pictures, so it was difficult to get an idea of a recipe-especially if you were cooking it for the first time.
I then realised it has all the basics that you need to know and things that i was never taught at home (as i'm not english).it was great to get an idea for things such as lunch and dinner.Last night i tried the salmon baked in foil and believe me it was good!
There may not be any pictures but the recipes certainly are fantastic and so much fun to cook!
I really recommend this book as it teaches you everything you need to know from bechamel sauce to a slow roast lamb and its so simple to follow!
on 8 June 2000
I've had this book for ages now, and I come back to it again and again, to use as a cookbook, but also just to read. She writes as if she was actually in the room talking to you, and was certainly successful in wanting to 'make you feel that I'm there with you in the kitchen, as you cook.' The book truly is 'the conversation that we might be having' and is extremely readable. The other thing I love about it is that the main focus of the book is not on prescriptive recipes but on the basics of cooking and running a kitchen, like making stocks, what's worth skimping on and what's not, how to save time, and generally how to cook long-term rather than just for this mealtime.
on 15 June 2017
Much favourite cook book, bought 2 one for each of our sons who are off to uni this year! They were disappointed as there are no pictures (what do they know anyway). I love this book the recipient are foolproof, delicious and I love the way Nigella writes with such enthusiasm. I love the fact that she does whole menu suggestions. I love love love this book. ❤️❤️❤️