Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 19 June 2008
I love Shauna's approach to having coeliac (or celiac - she's American). Rather than treat it as a problem, when she finds out what has been making her sick for so many years she handles gluten-free living with such enthusiasm, experiementing with lots of diferent foods and grains which coeliacs can eat, and writes about it in such a way that makes you want to try it yourself. She pans the typical American way of eating, is very much a "foodie" and tells the reader much about her life (and love)!
For several years she has been writing a food blog 'gluten-free girl' and much of the material is similar - her life, after all! But I still enjoyed the book, although I did expect more recipes, but there are loads on the blog.
So if you, or someone you know has coeliac, and you don't have time to read approx 400 back-blog entries, or if you are interested in food anyway, buy this. You will enjoy it. Oh, and it's very well written. Shauna taught writing before she committed herself to this full-time.
on 17 January 2008
This is not so much a recipe book as a well written account of Shauna James' extreme experience of celiac disease; from a plump child raised on white bread and ketchup, through extreme illness, to diagnosis with celiac disease. When finally diagnosed, she discovers a hitherto unknown passion for real food and tastes unknown to her.

The book oozes with the sensual feeling she has for each and every food group - except gluten. Scattered through it are recipes for some really great dishes, Fig Newtons were a revelation and the chicken with pomegranate molasses - oh-my-god!

Shauna is single for the most part. On this painful journey and then re-awakening to the wonder of food, she encounters the world like a child. And then she meets the chef and falls absolutely body and soul for him. I challenge you not to weep!

If you have been on the journey to diagnosis with celiac disease this book will tug at your heart strings like no other. Truly inspirational.
on 4 December 2007
This books is fantastic for anyone starting to live a gluten free life. The book is charming, funny in places, and will make you tear up in others. The recipes are fantastic, and the author is amazingly encouraging. I highly recomend it.
on 27 July 2014
I loved this book from the minute I began to read it! I am half-way through it and have post-it notes throughout. From experiencing similar things to the great recipes, this book has been an easy read. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one who is experiencing the emotions that Shauna writes about in her book. I have had a good chuckle over her description of life at home and enjoyed her new adventures with new foods as an adult. Unlike Shauna though, I come from an Italian home with a mom (and dad!) who made and cooked almost everything from scratch. Life without pasta, bread, pizza and all the wonderful baked goodies has been really difficult! Discovering new foods and recipes has made life a bit easier...but I still miss my mom's homemade pasta! Will definitely follow her blog.
on 22 February 2011
I am so disappointed I bought this book. I love Shauna's blog, which seduced me into parting with hard earned cash to buy this. This book was so bad, it makes me so angry. I have just bought her latest book at the same time. I have never been so disappointed with two book purchases. I was so excited to receive them in the post, and I now feel bitterly let down by both books. First of all, there are basically no recipes in the book. I want imaginative Gluten Free recipes. Not just ones which are naturally gluten free that I can think up myself!

Secondly, I cannot express how tiresome, condescending and self indulgent this book is.I couldn't even finish it. The later parts after having met the chef is literally vomit inducing and detracts from what the book is acually about.

In a nutshell I was licking cheese of the chef's fingers and then started to cry because he loves me. How is that of any use to anyone who is gluten free in any way. Shauna just talks about how she wants to cry all the time. Get a grip.

If I could get a refund I would. I am so cross and disappointed that this book is SO TERRIBLE as is her latest offering! I know this is a copy and paste style review but I purchased both books last week for the first time. What is more, I am now totally put off reading the blog, which I thought was wonderful. I cannot even comprehend how this book got published in the first place.

Please, save yourself the hassle, and do NOT bother buying.
on 22 February 2013
I loved this book. Whether you are Coeliac, gluten free or just interested in food, it will appeal. It's a memoir of the author's life, experienced through food. Later, as her diagnosis of Coeliacs is confirmed, she rediscovers food with a passion - her descriptions leaps off the page and you can see and taste the food as she's written it. There are helpful tips about dealing with life as gluten free which have been very helpful. There are recipes throughout the book - mostly non-baking recipes. If you're looking for a gluten free cake recipe book then this isn't for you. What it is an enjoyable book about the pleasures and discovery of food.

btw, ignore the 1 star reviewer who clearly didn't get what the book is about. I was pretty shocked at such a harsh review which is the most mean I have ever read on Amazon.
on 25 November 2013
I bought this books as a gift for my sister-in-law who was newly diagnosed as a coeliac.
She found it a useful read, helpful to someone new to coeliac. Perhaps some of the recipes are less relevant to a UK audience, but it was still interesting.
on 17 September 2010
Essential reading for anyone diagnosed with coeliac disease and their families. Although the recipes are more geared toward the American market the author's story is well worth a read. Her joy of food shines through and is truly inspiring. If anyone can find certified gluten free sorghum flour in the UK, please let me know! The book is worth buying even if only for the story about the apple pie. Yum yum:)
on 11 April 2013
I've just realised I have a gluten problem, albeit not coeliac disease like the author of this book. Her book is hugely inspiring about food beyond wheat - cheered me up no end. It's more about attitude than recipes - I highly recommend it.
on 27 January 2011
This book easily flows as you read and yet provides great information along the way; for anyone who is adapting to or has this condition, provides excellent knowledge to meet your dietry requirements.