Customer reviews

on 25 April 2011
It's interesting, and perhaps telling, that this books gets rave reviews on amazon.com, and 2 pretty negative reviews on amazon.co.uk. It does an okay job of explaining what BI is from a business perspective, although the author sometimes slips in words, like "normalization", without explaining them first, or at all, which I wouldn't expect from a "Dummies" book. The whole thing would have been a lot better with more concrete examples, diagrams and screenshots to bring the concepts to life. I don't understand why the "BI and Technology" section came right at the end of the book, and I found it too light on some key concepts like data quality management. The whole section on "The BI Lifecycle" and "Implementing BI" is largely about IT and project management in general, i.e. too generic for a book about BI. It would have been better to focus on the BI specific aspects and include the generic stuff in an appendix, or simply refer to "Project Management for Dummies" instead. Speaking of which, I generally find the Dummies books to cheesy for my liking, and this one is no exception. For the next edition, I would atleast do a "find and replace" on "rubber hits the road".
on 3 November 2008
I bought this book along with C.Howson's 'Successful Business Intelligence' as part of a pack for my Business Intelligence Module at uni.

This book is absoloutly hopeless! It is missing alot of key concepts and ideas such as measuring success of BI and the LOFT effect. This book has gathered dust on my shelf for weeks and is only ever used to throw in fustration after again finding it completely useless!

I do however, strongly recommend the other book I bought, i found it to be brilliant, and managed to write my essay with most of my material and resources taken from it!

Its in the title... for dummies! If you want a BI book that is informative and comprehensive, look elsewhere!
on 10 September 2013
I was disappointed by the lengthy start but later on everything comes to place. The book is a good overview of the main BI issues you can encounter and is a pleasant reading even for more experienced readers.
on 4 June 2013
Whilst this is not going to win any contest for a good read..it does what it says on the tin and is an excellent reference book
on 22 February 2017
all good
on 29 December 2014
Ok
on 16 June 2010
as the title suggests this is a book intended for managers that are in the position to implement the BI function; if you are in any other position it might give you some info here and there, but the book is not for you