on 25 November 2008
I regret buying this book; I must have been a real dummy. It does not provide sufficient detail to be useful. It contains too much padding which the authors regard as humour. It contains inaccuracies e.g. p.53 "...you need a crossover LAN cable that should have come with your DSL modem." Well my modem came with a non-crossover cable and it worked perfectly!
on 17 July 2013
i AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THE BOOK WAS RETURNED TO AMAZON- I CANNOT UNDERSTAND AS IT IS THE SAME ADDRESS THAT I HAVE ALWAYS USED.I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT I WOULD BE RECOMPENSED AND THIS HAS STILL NOT HAPPENED EVEN THOUGH ORDER WAS SENT ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO.
on 21 December 2007
we bought this book for our mum, but were unable to give it to her. Not only is it aimed at an American audience, but it simply is not useful at all !!! Would have sent it back if it was not sucjh a pain to go to post office on xmas eve.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2006
bought it for my dad but i had a read of it and it was pretty good very basic so does what it says on the cover.
on 21 September 2000
Almost everyone has heard of the "For Dummies" books. The "Quick Reference" series' direct method and clear (sometimes playful and fun) language make learning easy. "The Internet For Dummies Quick Reference" is a fact-filled quick reference that gives the chance to find out a small, clear and fun guide which takes the horror out of meeting the Internet for the first time.
"The Internet For Dummies Quick Reference" is a quick guide designed for beginners. Authors do an exceptional job of explaining a large number of Internet terms. You'll also find here a lot of tips for optimizing your browser for speed, building your first Web page, managing e-mail, subscribing to mailing lists, and go shopping on-line. Here is really the perfect guide to help users find their way around the Internet.
on 21 September 2000
I hope, almost everyone has heard of the "For Dummies" books. The series' direct method and clear (sometimes playful and fun) language make learning easy. It is also a well-known computer book series in Russia. "The Internet For Dummies" is the chance to find out in a simple, clear and fun guide which takes the horror out of meeting the Internet for the first time.
As a computer writer, I am always delighted to discover new great book that makes understanding the computer. Many so-called Internet books are nothing more than printed collections of Web addresses. "The Internet For Dummies" is a guide designed just for newbies. Authors do an exceptional job of explaining a large number of Internet terms. You'll also find here a lot of tips for optimizing your browser for speed, building your first Web page, managing e-mail, subscribing to mailing lists, and go shopping on-line. "The Internet for Dummies" is a great start to learning the Internet.
on 16 February 2010
It is now 2010 and this book is well out of date. The speed of light might be fast but the internet evolves even faster so very little of the information will be useful today it talks about Internet Explorer 4 and we are now on IE8. So why did I nuy it? Well I'm writing a highly biased and personal history of the net and this gives me an excellent snapshot of the web in 1999, it was published in February 2000, which keeps me grounded. If you have any interest in the internet as it was a Dummies book is a great place to start some research because it deals with the parts of the net tht mattered to ordinary people, and beginners. It has far too much about AOL (the US version) in it which is why I can't givce it five stars but the cartoons are as good as ever.

Just read it for research if the internet of 2000 interests you, it was a world without Google, but don't buy it hoping for a cheap book that will help you today.
on 8 March 2010
This is the 1993 edition of Internet for Dummies and the first Dummies book on the subject. Please don't think it is of any practical use as a guide to the internet of 2010 because it isn't. This is history, a look back to the days when the internet was of little practical use, there was no Broadband, and connecting to the net tied up your telephone line. It is history and I am reading it for research purposes. You may, like me, not agree with everything the authors write about the history of the web as they saw it but that doesn't matter because what you are reading is what the public was being told. The cartoons are very good and there are more of them than you seem to get these days.

Please just remember this book is fun to read but of little practical use. Keep it safe it will be even more interesting in another ten years time.
on 30 April 1997
being a Newbie to the Internet(and computers) I was ready to cancel my online subscription until I purchased your book. It was better than "Everything you ever wanted to know about sex but don't dare ask". Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
on 14 November 2010
The listing said the book was in good condition which I assumed would mean almost as new. I was somewhat surprised that the condition of the book was not that good with marks on and a fold in cover. Well used would have been a fairer description! Had I have known it was very second hand I would not have bought it as it was a present for someone.