on 23 March 2015
Though Security Engineering in the industry is a considerably broad subject matter Ross Anderson delivers on his intention.

From historical standpoints to encryption, Security Engineering provides information contextualised for those either studying, working or simply researching (fiction authors might want a reference guide) though many might find it a dry read, lacking the more 'emotional' style of writting as featured in many trending titles in the field.

Well worth the money for a well researched work.
on 15 October 2014
I think Ross Anderson did a fantastic job with this book -- the coverage of the security engineering field is thorough and detailed, but not so technology specific that it is now out of date or irrelevant. I keep finding myself going back to this book for inspiration and ideas on implementing and analysing security systems. The book is very well written and is very readable unlike most security textbooks. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in technology security systems, although don't get this item from Amazon, get the newer second edition.
on 6 December 2014
I recently decided to learn more about "security". I suppose that like many novices I equated security with cryptography and went searching on the web. I was lucky to find Anderson's web-site and read a few chapters, "Cryptography" and "Protocols". Then I wondered about the rest of the book and read a bit more.

It was an eye opener, I bought the book and I haven't regretted it. The scope covered all the application areas in which I was interested, and added new ones.

It is well written to the extent that I found myself reading it for entertainment. Nevertheless it is also a solid academic book with plenty of references to other materials. It is also telling that this book is referenced by every other book on security and cryptography that I have since read.
on 12 July 2015
This introduces security at a level deeper than an undergraduate university course book or something like a CISSP book and is better written than most of these. However if you're looking for guidance on how to secure a banking portal, this is not a the right book.
on 8 February 2016
Well written, I could even say, entertaining, it is an easy read. I haven't finished it yet, but the author does know what he is talking about and touches subjects about security I would never have thought about. Not sure how much practical use, but I will update this after finishing the book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 March 2013
If you care about security, just get this book already. One other review wonders why the book needs to veer into a discussion on the safety of atomic bombs, and that was the moment I ordered the book. The range of things covered is astoundingly broad, and the cross-relevance is huge. Most books are about one kind of security, which makes you particularly blind to 'off angle' attacks. Not so in Security Engineering!
on 10 December 2017
An authoritative, but also frank, guide. Rare to see those together.
on 1 June 2012
This has to be one of the best books I have ever read in the security field. The book covers more topics than I could have imagined. The information provided is simply amazing, it uses real case studies which the writers have been expose to and how they resolve the problems along with practical guidance based on their professional experience.
Another highly recommended book.
on 13 July 2012
This is clearly essential reading for anyone involved in IT Security. Professor Anderson is an expert in this subject, we worked together at a major bank in the 80s and he has evolved his knowledge to be the best in the business. Why read another security book ?
on 22 June 2017