on 27 December 2006
Whilst this book is undoubtedly useful to the beginner, which I was when I bought it, the fact that all the photos are in black & white is a major drawback.

Overall the book is easy to read and full of useful tips, although now i am more experiemced I would have to disagree with some of his advice. For example I think that a UV sterilizer is a must to prevent disease in the tank.

To accompany this book I thoroughly recommend you also buy a book called Marine Fishes by Scott W Michael. Illustrated in full colour, it covers over 500 species of fish and gives you lots of useful information to assist you in choosing the correct fish for your aquarium
on 27 April 2005
Typical DUMMIES book. Well written, broken up into manageable sections. There are no colour pictures for you to look at but the book takes you from deciding what tank and equipment to buy through the setup and onto keeping and enjoying your aquarium. It is easy to read and refer back to in times of questions which will happen often from selecting which fish to buy to diseases. Good book to buy for a beginner
on 7 August 2013
This book really contains a lot of information about saltwater aquariums. There is a step by step guide to build your own aquarium, which is really helpful. I believe it is a very good reference for the beginner and I am planning to follow it in order to build my first 180lit aquarium. I have also bought "Your FIrst Marine Aquarium", which is also really good, but this one is much more complete and detailed. The only drawback I can think of is the absence of any reference to LED lighting.
on 5 August 2009
Everything is explained in simple terms, advice is given to keep beginners away from difficult fish and ideas. Quick reference tables for those things you keep forgetting about, eg how much ........ A very handy book to have around.
on 20 June 2013
I am new to marine tank keeping. So I have purchased three books by Phd's the first two lost me in their "Mumbo jumbo" this book is so good I have bought it twice, once for my Kindle and then the paperback. If you are new to the Marine world BUY THIS BOOK.
on 27 October 2014
This book has some good information in it but it seems very out of date compared to today's technology with regards to marine aquarium equipment. Reading this book actually put me off setting one up until I spoke with a specialist in the aquarium shop. I have now had my aquarium set up for 2 weeks now and everything's great!
on 10 October 2016
i have recently started my saltwater aquarium an this has helped massively in my understanding of the set up, whats right an wrong an everthing , the tanks doing really good an soon hoping to add real life coral to make my tank come to life more,
on 1 September 2015
A picture is worth a 1000 words unfortunatelty this book has very few of them so its difficult to know what fish/corals its talking about ,the only colour section is 4 pages in the centre which is a bit pointless .
I have managed to skip read the book in a few hours and have learnt a thing or two but its not as detailed in certain areas as I would have liked , will read again in more detail and may change my review later on .
on 8 January 2016
Not really worth while if you have any sense... Its very simplistic and doesnt give a great deal of background info.
If you've no idea how to keep marine fish and dont want to read a normal book on the subject then it may meet your needs. It is also US centric. All units are F rather than C
on 24 January 2016
Bought for my husband who is considering getting a marine tank. It explains in simple terms what to do and the best options available. We have now purchased a tank and will be following this book to get the best results from it.