on 21 August 2017
A lot of the old Wrox books are just a print out whats available in Help. It's tiring reading the same thing in different books, there is a lot of filler in the old Wrox books. Luckily there is no history lesson spanning the first chapter or two, but you do get to learn what a loop is and what If statement is (seriously..?!). Yes it is a reference, but some of the information isn't made easy to find and there are mentions of bits which retain compatibility with Excel 95 / 97, which shows the books age. Also luckily I have the Kindle version so my shelves do not break under the shear weight of old wrox books. I probably regret buying it but I have it now so its just there, in the ether to read. Could probably get the same information for free online or in other books which are better organised and easier to read. Gets a bit more interesting from Chapter 16, which is about 1/3 of the way in though. but it does refer to making addins with Visual Basic 6..oh dear. The last 40% of the book is taken up detailing in excruciating details the Excel object model, the VBE object model and a completely meaningless index (as it has no page numbers..).
on 8 March 2010
Prior to buying this, I had two other VBA books, Walkenbach's VBA for dummies and the same authors' Professional Excel Development 2nd Edition. I highlt recommend these books, but found that there's a gap in moving from the Dummies book up to the Professional Development Text.

I bought this book to fill the gap. While it does cover some of the aspects I was looking for - ribbon X and working with texst files it's tough to work through as you need to read all pages. The effort needed to get through sometimes seems too great and I find that I revert to looking at the other two books plus google searches. Perhaps I was spoiled by getting my hands on the other texts, but by cmoparison, their layout makes life much easier.

If I was asked again as to what's the best approach, I would have gone for Walkenbach's VBA Power Programming. There's a reasonable level of overlap with the Dummies book (which is a great intro to VBA), but his style of explaining how to do things, and use of many smaller examples is a real plus point

In summary, good but can do better.
on 25 July 2011
Its hard to know where to place this book, it has pretensions of being an advanced reference book but really its best suited to the middle ground between beginner and intermediate. The main problem with it is that although its a huge book there is actually not that much in it, nearly 50% of the bulk is padded out pointlessly with the object model.. which is available from the excel help files and the MSDN anyway. The rest although good is little more than an introduction and taster of each subject.

Its hard to say who I can recommend this book too... the beginner will find the VBA introduction insufficient and the core topics such as the pivot tables, range object, worksheet and workbook objects just not covered in enough detail... the intermediate will find that the more advanced topics such as automation and connections etc really have no detail at all.

So for the beginner who has graduated from a good foundation book, such as Steven Roman's O'Reilly "Writing excel Macros", this may serve to introduce the more advanced topics and someone in that situation may find this book very illuminating without being too impenetrable... however I find I use it much less than I expect, 9 times out of 10 when I look something up it gives me the very basics but then I have to go away and look up useful detail elsewhere...
on 8 May 2011
Well reference written book with a good structure but not very useful if you are looking for a how to...
As a newcomer to VBA I haven't found this book very useful as it doesn't really help if you don't know the questions to ask and where to start.
I would say it is aimed at an intermediate/advanced programmer. I borrowed a visual quick start guide and found this much more suitable for answering my questions and guiding me through some of the steps I needed such as creating forms and a splash screen.
on 2 February 2012
Whilst at times it can be very long-winded there is no doubt here that the author's know their stuff. Unlike many technical books, there are many helpful examples to accompany the detail- which yes the authors do loose themselves in from time to time. Overall though an outstanding book for reference...just not one for reading front to back as it does go on! One last important point. The download files will NOT open in Excel 2010 as they are all in Excel 2007 BETA format.
on 12 February 2012
I find this book not useful compared to the Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach which comes with a CD containing examples. As with this Excel 2007 book, I find it doesn't explain things clearly and I hardly got any useful information from it. I think even as a reference book, you would be better to buy one that comes with CD examples.
on 2 July 2010
This is a superb book aimed at people with a modicum of programming experience - I am not a computer programmer but have dabbled in the past and this book suited me very well, in covering all possibly VBA for Excel aspects and giving example short programmes which I could copy/modfiy to suit my problem.
on 7 August 2009
A well written guide to VB programming in Excel. The example routines are work well and the instructions clearly explain the methods used. An invaluable guide to the learner programmers and an essntial reference for the more experienced programmer.
on 5 October 2013
Well written and easy to use for references. A good book for anyone writing in VBA, beginner or more advanced.
on 1 March 2013
Works fine, quality product. would recommend it .. .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. . . .