on 28 August 2015
I have worked my way through about a third of the book now and it is a real eye opener. I am a competent Excel user, having moved over to Microsoft Excel many years ago after starting out with Borland QuattroPro. QuattroPro was very friendly for macro writers and users, but I never really got to grips with Excel macros in any useful way for complicated tasks. This book has taught me a great deal about Excel in general as well as VBA in particular and has enabled me to start automating complicated tasks in Excel using VBA and more complex macros. The sample spreadsheets on the accompanying CD are informative too, and enable you to delve into the author's code.

One teeny criticism is that the author can tend to be a bit of a show off. For example, he demonstrates how to improve on code recorded from the macro recorder (which is fine), but then go on to show how a really clever programmer (him) could write the code from scratch to make it tighter still, which is perhaps not that necessary.

My code is still probably not the optimum solution to the problem, but it gets the job done efficiently thanks to what I've learned from this book.

Highly recommended.
on 9 April 2013
I searched high and low for a decent book on VBA and after reading many reviews decided on this one. It was a good choice. After giving a brief history of how Excel began it's journey to the present time this book leads you through every aspect of VBA. The accompanying disc has all the example files on it which is very helpful. It has to be said that knowing the Excel programme itself is a requirement for using this book. One doesn't have to be an Excel power user but knowing your way around it is most helpful in getting your moneys worth out of this book.

I am a mature student and know that I will need to know as much as possible about VBA as it appears in my studies next year. So, I have around 5 months to get to grips with this and other diciplines. A further review may be required in Sept when I have had the chance to test my new knowledge which has been gleaned from this book.
on 2 February 2012
What more can I say about John that hasn't been said already? If you like technical impractical books, this one despite it's huge length is not for you. If on the other hand you learn by way of going through stacks relavant worked examples and downloadable material then Elvis has just entered the building!
on 11 January 2016
Very large book with signs of use but I don't mind as it shows how useful it must have been
Very interesting I use it very day and have learnt a lot, there is more information then the Vbe programming for dummies book
Which I brought also.
on 15 December 2016
Great book!
on 17 January 2014
I love programming, and this book started me in the interest. It starts right from the basics of Visual Basic for Applications programming, developing. It comes with a CD as well, which perfectly accompanies it. Recommended.
on 19 August 2007
If you are looking to learn vba for excel then buy this book! it is in plain clear english, with useful help files and tutorials. This book also really does help with vb skills on a whole and will help all looking to master this area of computing. In short Mr speadsheet is a hero!! long may he help us all!!
10 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2013
Very lengthy book providing various examples. Altogether, a good macro bible but sometimes need to refer to other books still so not complete.
on 7 January 2013
Got what I expected. Excellent, to the point and well organized and well structured. Very helpful in general and for specific targeted learning.
on 18 May 2009
This was slightly more difficult to stay focused on then his other book I have read. But I have constantly referred to it since finishing it.

I don't think that I have started a project that has finished without me picking this book back up and leafing through the relevant chapters.
5 people found this helpful