on 19 August 2016
This is a really engaging book. It has twists and turns, rythms, conundrums and a great mixture of different media to keep you going in an exploration of the possibility of identity arising from 'machine-like' operants. There are great illustrations and a good use of humour that permeates the dialogue format that carries the book from section to section. You can learn alot from this tome and enjoy learning it.
on 30 January 2014
This book reminds me of an album I once bought - Darkness Descends by Dark Angel.
It was so noisy and intense, that even at the height of my thrash metal phase, I could only really bear to listen to one or two songs.

It's one of my favourite albums for that very reason.

This book is the same. It's quite intense, and I find myself reading the same few chapters over and over again, before baiiling out.

However, I now know enough frighteningly complex information that I have to wear a warning sign at parties.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2012
I am doing paradoxes in art for my Masters and this is a key book. I've always been fascinated in strange loops but terrible at maths, and so my mind tends to glaze over anything that veers into algebra - but he keeps it grounded in normal language for the layman to understand. Don't skip the forward for the republished version as it helps to know what his main argument is (because he says his book is often misunderstood), and it provides a background to take in the rest of the book.
I find it surprisingly easy to understand but then I could have misunderstood it and not know...

If you like paradoxes and the work of Escher you will love it.
on 15 August 2015
Important work for understanding higher brain processes; uses computational science analogies, art and music examples to illustrate the problem and structure of the mind.
on 29 July 2015
A gift for a third party so can't rathe this edition, but it is a mesmerising book.
One person found this helpful
on 24 January 2015
This is one of my favourite books. If you like thinking, you will enjoy it!
2 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2014
One of the great books of all time. Although it gets very complex very quickly, the author does a good job of trying to help you keep up. One day I will be able to say I understand every point...!
on 2 October 2016
An amazing read, simultaneously technical but still accessible and, in parts, amusing. A must-read for anyone interested in logic or the intersect of mathematics and art.
on 9 May 2014
Okay... maybe that's going too far, but this is invaluable reading for pretty much anyone who is interested in anything. Hofstadter's masterpiece. You probably won't agree with everything he comes up with but this is such a thought-provoking and imaginative book you won't care.
on 10 June 2016