on 10 December 2010
Towards the end of the book the author admits that he is a philosophical parasite and that he feels indebted to the public for having used their funds,and is therefore attempting to make amends by elucidating the most current theories in consciousness research.I would say he has redeemed himself fully by producing a clear and not too technical book that is readable and informative and enhances the understanding of what it means to experience consciousness,how it evolved and where it is going.
on 13 March 2011
According to Thomas Metzinger, we live in a sort of virtual reality. Everything that we experience is ''a virtual self in a virtual reality''......
Our brains are effectively onboard computers creating a ''transparent'' real time virtual reality of it's environment... In Metzingers words: ''Our brains create a world simulation, so perfect that we do not recognize it as an image in our minds.''

The colors of the setting sun is not a property of the evening sky. It is a property of the internal model for the evening sky, a model created by the brain.
And it gets worse:
We are not even in direct contact with our own bodies...What we feel is an illusion....not reality, but virtual reality. Strictly speaking, and on the level of conscious experience alone, you live live in a virtual body and not in a real one...

And certainly, in the future, understanding our minds in this light might lead to whole new experiences:
Metzingers envisions a future where people goes a little further with technology that just playing video games and experiment with virtual reality for fun.
Indeed, some might use new technology to explore the universe of altered states of consciousness in a quest for meaning. E.g. Have their temporal lobes ticled by
advanced technology, leadning to all sorts of new experiences.

Exciting times ahead !

-Simon
on 4 May 2013
A difficult read, makes you wonder why you bothered.Purely a personal opinion, but I got nothing out of this book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2013
I remember reading a review of this or perhaps "being no one" in New Scientist" in which the reviewer complained that he merely offered hard won scientific ideas and data in a heroic introspective authorial philosophical format:. I was impressed by the reviewers' scientific veracity and intolerance toward such introspective musing. Now I've read this great short book I disagree; I can that metzinger's project is to transpose cognitive science into philosophical discourse. Science won't dispel wooly philosophy by keeping its ideas to itself, metzinger's wants the ideas in cognitive science to begin to redefine thinking itself and the place to start, for him, being a philosopher by 'trade', is in philosophical discourse. I think it's a great place to start and I'll be reading "being no one" next...
on 31 December 2011
If you want to have an impact into your life decision making, you need to know how your mind works. this book ca help you to reach it