Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 18 June 2014
I bought this book because I didn't understand people well. That's changed a little. Now I see myself and the other fleshy 2 legs out there all shuffling around to the tune of ancestral genetic mating protocols. I think it's why we do what we do.

It has one downside - seeing everything laid out like this could take the romance out of the whole procedure. Then again, the knowledge in this book could stop you getting stung, badly. You only live once, so best not to spend it caring for someone else's babies or being a dispensable sex object / status object.

If you're human, I have to recommend you read this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 December 2006
Why do women use makeup? Why do men like to buy big cars? Why do people feel jealous? Evolutionary psychologist David M. Buss digs deep into the ancient past of human relationships to answer such questions, and produces intriguing results, disconcerting insights and valuable explanations. Using observations from the animal world and from many studies conducted in various societies, he provides a theoretical framework based on Darwin's theory of natural selection. Give Buss credit for elaborately fitting in almost every conceivable puzzle inherent in human mating relationships - even though this, admittedly, at times requires quite a stretch of his evolutionary theory. We recommend this "drop-dead shocker" (The Washington Post Book World) to anyone who has ever searched for, attracted, kept or separated from a mate - that is, anyone who is strong enough to face the unromantic truth.
on 24 July 2011
Overall a very interesting book and equally a very disturbing book; it is one that I think a lot of people should read and that more research should be carried out in this field.

One thing that concerned me is that this book doesn't mention fetishes. Not at all. Not even one mention. Aren't fetishes a large and interesting aspect of the evolution of desire? Where did they come from? What are they for? Why may they have evolved? This book should have dedicated an entire chapter to fetishes and sexual preferences I believe, but it doesn't.

It also gets a tad repetitive, but I would still buy this book. I also wish there was a recent book on human mating: this came out in 2003!!
on 10 March 2011
In a thorough analysis of human reproduction through the lens of evolutionary psychology, David Buss carefully examines a variety of its aspects.

Attraction, mating strategies, wooing, one-night stands, commitment, monogamy, fidelity, lifetime mating, jealousy, infidelity, abuse,divorce...it's all part of nature's meticulous design. So is (presumably) the female orgasm, and so is (presumably) homosexuality.

Throughout the approach is objective and scholarly. It's quite amazing to consider this array of hot topics in such a sober and scientific fashion.

I would unreservedly recommend this book to anyone.
on 2 February 2013
Once you read and integrate the information contained within this book, it enlivens the everyday once you can see and understand how and why people are drawn to certain behaviours in dealing with one another, both in real life and online. It shows how certain conceits of dating are why and how they are, and how they can be misinterpreted in observation. Well worth your time.
on 18 December 2013
My prinsible language is not English so this book is a bit hard for me to understand since it has very hard terms of sience and psycology but definately you learn things about our evolution and animal kindom that they are very intresting and worth knowing .I would recomend it for people who care about evolution .
on 24 September 2014
A classic in evolutionary thinking about attraction, sex and relationships
on 18 September 2015
Not politically correct but very true.
on 4 February 2013
I like the book and which was interesting, I think I will share this for my friends. anyway, I love it.
on 29 October 2011
This book is an Eye Opener Book, shows and explains all the things we humans have in common and why are we so hard to understand ourselves