Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2012
Do you remember the time when you cut and pasted something you had written in one wordprocessor program in to another? Remember how the lines were thrown out? How even words were split up?

Remember how you had to spend an eternity editing the damn thing? Putting the lines back in order - putting the words back together? After all you'd have felt too ashamed to send the ruddy thing out in the mutilated useless shape that it had assumed after you had unwisely decided to try and cut corners with a cut and paste stratagem wouldn't you?

This sense of shame does not, it appears, apply if you are called Penguin UK Ltd!!

This book does indeed consist of a fine selection of Tennyson's poems but enjoyment of such is rendered impossible by the shape that they have assumed after Penguin ported the edition over in to e-book format.

The lines meander across the page, seemingly following no pattern at all. It is not possible to replicate the effect by direct emulation here. I tried to do so but it is edited out when I submit the review for publication.
[Penguin please acquire the technology!!]

One line has the words " The stream flows". It appears half of the way across the page.

The next line - half way across the page reads : "10"

The following line, two thirds of the way across the page consists of the solitary letter "T"

The next line reads as follows "he wind blows."

It has to be seen to be believed. [ Please do not shell out any money in order to do so]

Man alive! I paid three times as much for this abortion as I would have for the paperback edition . I have seen cheap collected works editions of poetry - or public domain e-publications that are free to download - that are in better shape than this.

Do Penguin books have no sense of shame at all? Couldn't Penguin afford to hire an editor to put this thing in order before publishing it? [ Not to mention its other e-book editions of poetry - I also foolishly purchased the Penguin selected poems of Keats. It reads just like this one.]

There is no excuse for this. Faber also publishes e-book editions of its poetry collections. These have been prepared and edited properly. They can be read and enjoyed.

But as for Penguin - and as for this e-book in particular - my advice is

G
ive this one a miss
The way it has

been produced makes it imp
33 ossible
to enjoy the poems.

I will avoid all editions of Penguin poems in the future. I foolishly assumed, given Penguin's good name in the field of hard and paperback publishing that they would - like Faber- have brought the same sense of pride and hard work in to play when producing e-books. That expectation has been dashed. Do not buy this book.

A good selection of poems ruined by sloppy production values. There is no excuse for this. Other e-publishers - even ones that charge a few pounds for their products - do a better job than this. Buck up Penguin! This is not good enough!
on 16 December 1998
This strikes me as being a very fair selection of Tennyson's work. However, the editor appears to be rather in awe of Christopher Ricks' definitive edition - so much so that it has reduced him to a brevity that almost verges on silence. So, it is excellent as a taster but, by Aidan Day's own reckoning, I cannot help feel that if you want a real edition, go to Ricks. But there's the problem - I don't seem to be able to find Ricks' edition, and in the meantime, there are cruces and obscurities in this selection that could be illuminated by some simple annotations. I really want Day's scholarship to come to bear - I know that he's got it! So why doesn't he try to beat an easier path into Tennyson for the new reader?
on 9 October 2010
This lovely little book only costs a couple of pounds. Why would you have to think about it? Have bought this as a stocking filler for Christmas. Most people would be pleased with this I think.
on 7 March 2014
Not my usual choice, but I had to do it for AS Levels. Regardless, I found myself thoroughly enjoying Tennyson's bipolar tendencies and melodramatic themes.
Guy was pretty messed up but on a positive note, amazing poetry was born from it.
I tip my hat to the Poet Laurette - would recommend if you like Victorian poetry.
on 23 June 2014
I bought this collection for my AS eng lit course and absolutely LOVED it! The collection contains a variety of Tennyson's poems in various styles, written at different times in his life which is fascinating to read about and understand. The collection really shows the breadth and range of his work and his influence over poetry,art and culture as a whole. I highly recommend this collection! especially if your new to Tennyson as I was.
on 25 July 2013
The book is great.
My son uses it for his work at school.
Easy to understand
He loves the book
on 17 July 2013
The book was in perfect condition and proved to be extremely useful when doing my English Literature A Level :)
on 1 March 2015
It was for my 17 year old daughter which was part of her English course book and she loved it
on 8 January 2015
Perfect for english! Had lots of works of Tennyson and was in a good size to take to school!
on 15 February 2015