on 12 January 2015
I guess when this book was first written the information and guide lines were current, but now many of the dietary do's and don'ts in the book are not current. I have been following the autoimmune Paleo Fodmap free diet for help with IBS and Coeliacs and have had the best results ever. Many of the food recommendations in this book are not good, for example onion, garlic and apples are big NO's on the Fodmap diet and this guy recommends eating them. Some of the nutritional advice was good, but I have read so many books on this subject, especially up to date books that I feel this book is well past its sell by date.
on 8 June 2011
This book makes so much sense to me. I have very recently been diagnosed with Crohns disease and it seemed absolutely clear to me that my latest relapse leading to the diagnosis coincided with a short break from a fairly strict high protein diet I had been following for weight loss. Having read this book I can see that the food I had been eating while on the diet was nearly all food which is considered ok in the guidance offered in this book. While following that diet properly I had felt better than I had done for years and my spell "off the wagon" for just a couple of days included pretty much all the food which this book advocates avoiding! The advice and explanations are clear and logical, and while some of the advice, such as peeling apples, seems quite surprising, it is even more surprising that, for me anyway, it works! Unfortunately I am having to bring my condition under control through drugs at the moment, but have shown the book to my consultant, and made it clear that in the long term I want to manage it though diet rather than drugs. I have to be honest and say that he does not feel that diet plays any part, good or bad, in the onset or management of Crohns disease, but he is willing to work with me on it. Whatever your view this book is well worth a read in my opinion.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 November 2016
This book was super helpful. I found out about this book on Crohn's forum and saw some great things written about it. As most diets, it is very difficult to follow it al, the way, but it gave me a great idea of some of the ch ages I needed to make to help me feel better.
on 7 September 2012
I bought this book for my 85 year old mother-in-law. She has suffered from Crohn's disease for most of her adult life. Following a recent 'flare up' of the debilitating condition, she went back to her doctor, who sent her back to hospital. She was seen by several specialists, including a nutritionist and a dietitianist.
On release from hospital she was given several diet sheets and other information leaflets. I read them. Two of the diet sheets contradicted each other.
I searched the web and came across this book. I bought it for her. It is easy to follow and has much advice and background information on her disease. She finds it interesting to read and now knows more about her condition than she knew before. She follows the recipes exactly.
The advice in the book allows her to experiment with her diet without using ingredients which would cause another flare up.
Result? She has had no recurrence of the problem since having the book, apart from one time when my sister-in-law took her to a restaurant for lunch!
on 26 October 2016
If you have problems this is definitely the book to get
lots of information to help you
on 26 April 2012
Having been diagnosed with what they think is Crohn's (having ruled out Colitis) since Decemeber, I bought various books on the topic, hoping to find a good diet plan.
Having read them, I was left confused by all the conflicting advice. I then came across this book and decided to put the simple diet guidelines to the test.
I have been flare-up free since my original one in December and find the diet tips really easy to follow.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who is newly diagnosed, or those who have been struggling with it for years. Definitely worth a go, even if your Doctor says it won't help.
on 25 July 2016
Great Thanks.
on 9 December 2013
This is my third copy . i keep buying it for IBD sufferers. highly recommend it to any one thinking about food, nutrition and disease
on 19 February 2015
Great helpful book
on 1 April 2015
nice book fast service thanks