on 8 December 2013
The thing is about this book that it's not necessarily the actual ideas or examples in it even - it's the ideas and concepts they trigger when you apply them to your own situation. Some have mentioned that it is outdated but there is never anything wrong with being forced back to pre-internet to get an entirely different context or approach to something.
I read one section last week; "stay alert". It is only short but it has opened up a massive, life changing idea for me which I am already making plans for.
I regard this book as a catalyst which will crystalise lots of thoughts into actions - it works - honestly!
Best tenner I ever spent ...
on 27 March 2017
good book
on 15 August 2017
great book
on 29 June 2004
This may not be the sort of book you'd want your friends to catch you reading, but it's well worth getting!
It isn't particularly up to date (1996), there's lots of irritating Americanisms in it and a heavy dollop of corn, BUT if you're looking for new ways to turn your good ideas into money-spinners, then give this a go.
I run my own business and this has already helped me identify new ways to sell my products far more profitably. It's also been great for rejuvenating my enthusiasm and optimism when times are tough.
If you're serious about running your own business, get this book. You may love or hate the style, but it's easy to read and the ideas and inspiration you get from it could make all the difference.
on 22 February 2009
There is no doubt that Dan Kenney knows his stuff when it comes to marketing and there are a lot of good ideas in the book. Some of the success stories he relates are outstanding and demonstrate how much can be achieved with just one simple idea. However this is not the most dynamic or engaging book you will ever read.
It won't give you the ideas, or stimulate you to radical life change but when you do come up with that winning concept it will give you some solid advice in how to bring it to market effectively without wasting all your advertising budget on things that don't work. It is probably a must for any would be entrepreneur but you will read more interesting books than this one.
on 12 June 1997
Marketing guru Dan Kennedy has filled this book with most of the business and marketing expertise people are spending thousands of dollars at his seminars to hear. Which makes this volume the best business value ever! This book is soooooo good and filled with valuable ideas that you have to take a breather every few pages just to digest it all--the ideas come at you so fast. If you don't think you can still make good money in your own business, starting with little or no capital, Kennedy will change your mind right away. Highly recommended.
on 2 December 1997
WOW. Just finished reading and highlighting several pages for the second time around. As a professional auctioneer and already successful business owner I didn't think there was a lot I'd learn. Wrong! Dan filled my head with all kinds of new ideas and additional profit centers that I can immediately build into my business. Thanks Dan!
on 19 November 1999
This book gave me the confidence to put my ideas into practice. Only days after reading it, I had came up with even more ideas for my business. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone contemplating starting their own business and people who are already in business.
on 7 June 2011
A little dated but don't let that put you off - the principles are still the same. The info product section can be read with the internet in mind even though it was written a while ago.
on 23 April 2011
I believe the title for this review says it all. I don't live in the US. and so have no insight in to "what works" in the US. However, I live in Denmark which is, along with Japan, probably one of the most high-tech countries in the world (yes, I'm bragging) and this book is so outdated I didn't even finish it. I read and read and FINALLY there was a chapter which, I thought, would capture my attention with new exciting informations and strategies... So, I read on untill chapter 8: "Superhighway to millions: The Brave New World of Electronic Direct Marketing" and I was like: "finally, here's a chapter on e-marketing"..... nope. Instead I read half a chapter about "infomercials".

I think the least the auther could do is write a 2nd edition - spice it up with NEW material!! A lot of books are perfectly fine even though they're 30-40 years old.

This book, however, is NOT like good wine. It should have been enjoyed years ago.