Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 5 June 1999
I bought the book and started the eating program on 1 April 1999. I found the recipes, shopping guide and principles set forth in the book to be just what I needed to change my terrible eating habits. I stuck strictly to the program for 60 days and went from 183 pounds to 165 and never felt like I was actually on a diet. In fact, I'm still following the program, using recipes from the two Support volumes written by Mrs. McDougall. I never would have been able to adhere to this program if it weren't for the nutritious and filling meals layed out in the book. My wife also follows the program and we both feel better than we have in years. I am anxious to order and try the two latest recipe books I hear are on the shelves now. Frankly, I was intimidated by the idea of giving up meat, coffee and processed foods; but I am now a true believer in this program and cannot see myself returning to the unhealthy eating style I practiced before I came upon the McDougall program. This book lays it all out for you and explains how to simplify your shopping and meal planning. My two-month old copy is becoming dogeared from daily use. It was the best investment I have made in a long time.
on 8 November 1998
I enjoyed and am still enjoying this book. It has very detailed contents in it. You are given examples of other people who followed the diet with their results. I have enjoyed the way that I feel better and look better. I wish I had gotten this book before I had my gallbladder removed. I don't think that it would have been necessary to have it removed had I followed a diet plan like this. I was not feeling well even after the surgery because my body did not like the food that I was taking in. This book has been a blessing to me and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about their health.
on 2 July 2011
All one ever needs to know about what to eat for good health and loads of energy.
It cuts through all the BS about foods and health.
The ingredients are simple and natural - and cheap. Following the plan garanties a steady weightloss (if overweight) and better health. You will actually begin to "glow" - looking younger, more toned.
I will never go back to a "normal" diet - McDougall won me over.
on 5 June 1999
Dr. McDougall and this book has changed our lives forever. His plan for a low-fat vegan lifestyle is explained thoroughly with Dr. McDougall's casual, easily understandable style and leaves the reader with little question about the benefits of the McDougall Program. Detailed explanation, case studies, menu plans and descriptions of common ailments combine to give the reader an in depth understanding of how diet effects our health, and how eating a low-fat, vegan diet can put an end to many ailments. We have lost weight, gained control over digestive problems and allergies by following the McDougall Program. If you want endless energy, good health, and to eat as much as you like and still lose weight (seriously!!) - join the thousands of people who have discovered that Dr. McDougall has found a way to break free from destructive eating habits and the illness that results.
on 11 February 2004
This book will change your life. If you've tried every diet and failed, then stop dieting and eat low-fat, plant-based wholefoods, never feel hungry and lose weight sensibly. Good advice, good recipes, vegan apart from the use of some honey. It has worked for me and made me happy and full again. A Must by. Get it! You won't regret it!
on 24 August 1998
Invaluable health information. Dr. McDougall explains, in common sense logic, what best to put in your body to support optimal human health. I experienced a dramatic rise in my energy level and spirits. I look better and no longer suffer depression. It probably isn't the easiest "diet" to follow, but he includes lots of recipies, meal plans and helpful solutions to sticking to it. If you are tired of feeling crappy, GET THIS BOOK!
on 27 May 1999
This is an excellent book, well-written, concise and with humor for anyone who wants to improve their health through diet. It provides a brief history of the "hows and whys" of Dr. McDougall's journey towards a vegan diet. The history is followed by a "how to get started plan", a 12 day suggested meal plan, easy to make and tasty recipes and lists of products by name brands that fit the diet. Finally, Dr. McDougall has included a general index as well as a recipe index which makes it easy to look up specific problems or recipes for favorite foods. This book is written in plain and simple English, but is thoroughly documented with pages and pages of scientific references. All in all, I would highly recommend this book, with the caveat that once you get on this diet, you will feel so great, you will not be able to (nor want to) go back to your old eating habits.
on 10 December 1998
I've been following Dr. McDougall's diet since February 1998 and have lost 20 pounds and gained enormous energy, along with freedom from joint pain and digestive disorder. It works! The diet is simple, albeit boring at times, very convenient, especially for single people, and completely satisfying. I recommend all of Dr. McDougall's books.
on 30 January 2013
Abdominal pain forced me to seriously look at my diet and being new to the idea of fat free veganism I was introduced to the work of Dr McDougall by a friend. This book has changed my diet and improved my health enormously. I lost 4lbs in the first week and I never feel hungry. The pain has just about gone and I feel great right now. Some of the beans and pulses take some getting used to but I can honestly say that the meals are tasty and filling. American veggie stew with mustard mash and lemon broccoli is a favourite in our home.
on 17 March 2013
Great book. Full of lots of medical and health information.

Note that the McDougall forum has the the contents of the low fat vegan lifestyle program on the website for free, but the book has far more info in it re anecdotal evidence and research.

I didn't realise that there was a weightloss version of the book (which is more or less the same but a bit more stringent). The forum/website also has details of that plan on too, free of charge.

Definitely a book worth getting.