It is the first time I have read the full version of all his travels. I am still amazed that in the mid 17th century such a talented aurthor should be able to put into words so much material that is still relevant today. His imagination captures the reader from many aspects. In the later travels the variety of societies he encounters and the discussions put forward really just go to show that much is the same today..
3 people found this helpful
on 16 May 2016
I found Gulliver's Travels very Imaginative. A book I had long ago wanted to
read.
Jonathan Swift has a fine imagination and the impression I came away with
was that of people and tolerance. His character's are fun, witty but at times cruel.
I think Swift was hoping to make an impact in the way of showing how prejudice,
judgement and intolerance of people can have a deep effect on society.
An enjoyable read.

From

Craig.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2013
Written almost like travel diary entries ,the style is quite functional and basic.
This fortunately helps serve the narrative of a seafaring doctor chronicling his strange adventures on unexplored islands.
There are usually no grandiose diatribes or useless flowery descriptions that distract from the catalogue of events and conversations detailed within the book.It certainly helps with suspension of disbelief later on with some of the more fanciful places the narrator ends up.
The attraction of the stories is of course that the places and situations serve as a metaphor for the human race.
It dark and warlike nature,its selfishness,vanity and general inhumanity to his fellow man.The Lilliputians warring over eggs?? ,the savage and brutal yahoos embodying every single undesirable trait of human kind etc.

I cannot recommend this book enough

It is a joyously cynical experience
One person found this helpful
on 18 August 2016
To be very, very clear, this is not a review of the novel but a review of the paperback Amazon printing of it - the green cover one with the title in a black circle and a dove at the top right. Do not buy this! It is an awful low quality product!

The positives, if they can be called that, to this printing of the book are very basic. To whit:
1) It contains the entirety of the text of Gulliver's Travels, in English, in the right order, in legible typeface.
2) Under normal circumstances, the book remains intact and the pages are in the right sequence.

The negatives are glaring, and are as follows.
1) The format of the book is incorrect. The 'Parts' of the book are instead listed as 'Chapters', and the actual chapters aren't listed at all- and they aren't even divided into chapters in the main text, instead running into each other with no discernible boundaries; except if you're paying attention you'll see that the short introductory paragraphs are still there, as simply another part of the main text body. How did this oversight even happen?
2) The "illustrations" are blurry, low resolution images of scenes wholly unrelated to the events in the story, instead featuring completely random scenes, and these images appear in completely random places, including in the middles of sentences. After 101 pages these cease to appear at all. Who decided this was an acceptable way to illustrate a book?
3) There are three full page adverts in the book for the audiobook version, that is two say to pages completely blank except for the words "HOLD ON! This book comes with a FREE audiobook:" (and then the URL for something which could well be a virus or something- I'm not going to go there and find out.), once before "Chapter" 1, once before "Chapter" 2, and once again at the end of the book. Clumsy and unprofessional.

I am shocked that any human being would sign off on this, and indeed there are no credits to any throughout the book, only to Johnathan Swift (who is lucky enough to get a short biography before the Table of contents) and the words "Printed In Great Britain by Amazon" on the very last page. So I'm convinced this thing has been printed entirely automatically by Amazon in order to make money in the laziest way possible from a public domain text that they didn't have to shell out for the rights to. It's a terrible, unforgivable mess.

Hopefully I'll get another unabridged version of the novel from elsewhere and I'll be able to enjoy it. This version is shameful.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 June 2014
Though we all think we know Gullivers travels, mainly from the Lilliput highlight, the remainder of Defoe's (imaginary?) travels are absolutely fascinating. Social commentary at it's best, irrespective of the age of the viewpoint. There are so many parallels with our world now, we should be ashamed of ourselves for our pomposity. This should be required reading for all children, teenagers & (especially) the movers & shakers in the political world.
Politicians should have to answer questions on the FULL book before they are allowed to enter their murky dens
2 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2016
I guess you need to cut this some slack as anything that's 300 years old and still getting read has got to have something going for it, but in my journey through reading the '100 greatest novels of the world' , this has been the least enjoyable so far. The third of the four sections is a chore, in particular.
Still a captivating idea and brilliant imagery, which is why it gets filmed/ stuck in children's version so often, but dull at times, I fear.
on 15 December 2010
The work itself fully deserves five stars. Swift combines a jaunty and engrossing fantasy novel with biting satire and parody. Sure, some things may at first go over the modern reader's head (the 1660 Act of Indemnity anyone...?) but much of the book's description of human nature remains unsettlingly relevant. Whether approached as a storybook or as a piece of socio-political commentary, this is a rewarding read. Unfortunately, if you intend to delve into this latter aspect of the book this (Wordsworth Classics) edition lets it down. The notes, while adequate, are at the back, requiring you to constantly flick distractedly between pages. I was also disappointed by the introduction, which gives only a very brief account of the political context, no account of the book's aftermath, and introduces a plethora of sophisticated readings while giving them only the most superficial explanation.

Buy the book, just not this edition!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 May 2015
I had never read 'Gulliver's travels' before and felt the time had come to do so. I am sure that at the time it was the great Political satire it was meant to be but times change and I'm afraid I feel and know I missed a lot of nuances and points. I am finding that more and more of the Classic books written within the last two centuries are practically unreadable for me as the social ethos has changed so much that the meanings and actions in them are beyond my understanding.
Sorry Mr. Swift!
on 16 July 2014
I'm not really sure why this is often thought to be a children's book, I think it would have confused and (in parts) terrified me as a child. It was funny (a mix of satire and crude jokes), debate-provoking, and in an interesting style of mock travel guide. The narrator irritated me but there was enough other positives to make up for this.

I read it as part of a university class looking a literature dealing with Utopian ideas and while I don't really know what I expected when I started reading it, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
on 8 July 2013
In the 1950s sci-fi writers used alien worlds to make points about the current human condition. 250 years earlier this uses the device of foreign, unreachable lands to make the same sort of comment. It is written using language that is now not in everyday usage, and therefore some historical knowledge is required to make full sense of it. It is that which make it an adult version rather than any specific content. This book was brought to my attention in an article by Margaret Atwood in a previous book I read. Note that the Kindle version has both the English and then the Spanish text, and therefore appears to be twice the size.