Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2011
This book is part of a series and for maximum enjoyment they should be read in order.
The series keeps on getting better :)
Our protagonist wakes up with amnesia - and a pile of dead monsters. The fact that he can deal with getting rid of the evidence without really thinking about it tells him he may, indeed, have a less than normal lifestyle - if he could only remember more of it. The view of the Cal that might have been is well thought out, and the conflict between his sporadically returning memories and mannerisms and his brothers wish for him to be 'happy' - whatever that is - is lovely. Likewise the decision that a happy Cal is not actually in Nico's best interest; I'm not ashamed to admit that I sniffled a bit :)
If you have read the other books in the series, you absolutely want to read this. If you haven't read the other books - well, what are you waiting for?
on 26 May 2014
Another series where I can't wait for the next instalment. I usually wait for the price to drop on most books I get for my Kindle, but these are one of the few where I just can't wait. And they are worth it. I won't give the plot away, because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but rest assured, if you've read the others in the series, you will continue to do so. There's something about the combination of Caliban - potty mouthed, cynical, dark and moody - and NIko - tall, deadly, dangerous vegan and full-time Ninja - that is simply addictive. When you throw a priapic Robin Goodfellow and a vampire girlfriend for Niko into the mix, what you have is perfection. I don't know how this series will end; it's obviously building up to be something even worse that what we've already encountered. But I do know that, while I relish every book, I'm dreading the last one.
on 25 June 2011
I loved this book. Without giving away too much of the plot (or at least no more than what is on the back of the book), Cal's amnesia gave us an opportunity to see him as a softer version of himself and far more open. I really enjoyed that aspect and felt that the character is more fleshed out and rounded as a result. It also gave us an opportunity to see all the other characters from a different perspective. Running alongside that was the usual tale of evil beings, but that was almost secondary. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 22 February 2013
This series is fantastic urban fantasy with a sarcastic narrator in the form of Cal, who is part human, part demon. Thurman gives us well developed characters living in a supernatural world that is fresh and vividly imagined.

'Blackout' has got to be the best book in this series so far. Cal has amnesia and it brings a new twist to the tale. I find these kinds of books - action based fantasy - have a tendency to get a bit formulaic, so this one was a real surprise for me. The plot wasn't predictable and there's a lot of humour in the situations Cal gets himself into while he's trying to figure out who he is.

Great stuff!
on 28 May 2013
One of my favourites of the series. I liked the look at Cal without his Auphe side in the way, but I'm glad he made the choice he did at the end.
on 29 August 2013
I have loved this series of books, and they get better and better, Robin & the mummy cat are just brillant.
on 21 March 2016