on 29 June 2014
Great fathers day present for a film addict.
A****

Highly recommend this book for anyone who is passionate about films.
on 26 March 2015
A little difficult to manage but full of interesting info
on 1 March 2015
Not impressed
on 19 November 2013
You may hate som of the ratings, especially concerning action-movies, but overall it's good quality.
Best thing is, that Maltin can change his evaluation in following years
on 9 September 2014
My dad loves this! Compact but chock full of reviews!
on 21 March 2015
Given to my son in law who appreciated it.
on 1 November 2013
Printed by Signet Books (Penguin Group) USA. The Modern Era has been added to the title,but still contains Classic films from the Silent Era ( a comprehensive guide is available in Classic Movie Guide covering the Silent screen to 1965).
Nearly 16,000 movie reviews and over 25,000 DVDs and videos reviewed. Ratings from being a Bomb to 5 stars is very useful
Running times which is an invaluable guide for recordings and discovering which movies have been edited.
Index of leading performers and film appearances and more
Pity no A to Z of Directors.
1,646 pages, excluding preface
Best viewers guide on the market & the Amazon price is value for money. DON, HULL
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2014
I can be brief. Every year I rely on this guide to tell me about the huge number of films that are available on television and elsewhere, and up to a short while ago I have never found that I seriously disagree with the assessments the book offers. I say "until recently" because I now strongly disagree with the rave review they gave to George Clooney's film "Up in the Air". To be fair, most American reviewers thought the film was great. I thought it was nonsense and totally unconvincing. I thought the three lead characters, despite Clooney'ss charm, were unconvincingly written, and the supporting actress, a little rodent-like creature who gabbled her lines in a high-pitched squeak, was virtually unintelligible.
Nevertheless, this book is still a must for me and I value it highly.
on 2 October 2013
I love this book, which probably explains why I've bought every edition since 1986! Each review encapsulates all the essential information you need to know about the movie with wit, style and substance. I really can't praise this highly enough and it is a must for any movie fan, young or not so young.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 January 2014
Leonard Maltin's guide is a must for reviews of most movies and really up to date, including recent UK releases