Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 December 2013
Hell Bent is the first book in a spin off from the Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk. I adore the Allie Beckstrom series which is all about magic. Not magic in a witchcraft way but rather magic in a natural energy kind of way. Anyway Hell Bent is set three years after the last Allie Beckstrom book and features my favourite character, Shamus Flynn or Shame as he is known, and his friend Terric.

At the end of Allie's series, magic, which had previously been light and dark, was joined and healed. This meant that magic wasn't as powerful. Only soul complements, two people magically tuned to each other, could break magic back back into light and dark, thus rendering it powerful and useful again. Shame and Terric are such soul complements. Only now the government know about soul complements and how such couples could be used as weapons so they are hunting them down.

I loved the Allie Beckstrom series and was hoping this spin off wouldn't disappoint and it didn't. As I mentioned earlier I love Shame. He is a Death magic using, black clothes wearing guy with attitude. It was a bit weird reading Shame from his POV though after seeing him through Allie's eyes for 9 books. The three years since Allie had been hard on Shame. He had shirked his responsibilities as head of the Authority in Portland and spent his time in the bottom of a bottle as he battled his Death magic demons. So he had even more attitude and it took me some getting used to this new side of Shame. But once the story got going Shame came around and back to hero like status.

Shame and Terric have always had a bit of a tempestuous relationship. Shame is a Death magic user whilst Terric is Life. Shame is straight whilst Terris is gay and a bit in love with Shame. Shame hates the fact that using magic with Terric is wonderful and something that he needs to keep the Death magic at bay but when they use magic together they are formidable. Their relationship with its ups and downs and their love for each other as fiends is what made Hell Bent special. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book.

Ms Monk writes an awesome story with fantastic world building and I loved Hell Bent plus Shame is still my favourite naughty character. To all the Allie fans out there, go and purchase this one you will love it. If you haven't read Allie Beckstrom please trust me and go and purchase it. I am giving Hell Bent 4.5 stars. Bring on book 2 please.
on 6 July 2014
loved this spin off from the Allie Beckstrom series. What's not to love about Shame and Terric? If you liked the previous series, you will love this. If you haven't read the Beckstrom series, I would highly recommend them.
on 25 March 2014
I have read the Allie Beckstrom series and Shame was one of my favorite characters, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. It started off a little slow (I'm not sure weather that's because its been a while since reading the series and it took me time to get back into it), however I really enjoyed it. It had me laughing in places at Shames winning charm and crying when he is broken again by magic. Anyway its a complete thumbs up from me.
on 12 May 2014
Definitely one of the best series of books I have read, got totally engrossed in the plot and the characters and as always left me wanting more.
on 29 January 2014
Nice to have two of the characters back in more depth. Cant wait for the next book. Role on April.
on 9 February 2015
This is a really good book. If you enjoyed the allie beckstrom series you'll enjoy this.
on 23 August 2014
Fantastic follow up to the allie beckstorm series
on 6 July 2015