on 24 February 2017
This was my first foray into an Anne Bishop novel (I know, I know!) and I absolutely devoured it. The premise turned everything we know about urban fantasy on it’s head. In this world humans are weak and vulnerable they do as they are told and stay where they are told. The Others (being the paranormal creatures we are used to seeing lurking in the dark) rule the world and hold the keys to the kingdom so to speak.

Meg Corbyn has escaped from her owner, as a Cassandra Sangue, a blood prophet, she has even less rights than a standard human, essentially a slave she has been used for her psychic abilities. Now that she has escaped she has no intention of going back even if that means working for The Others.

As I read this novel there were things I expected to happen, things that would fit the formula of an urban fantasy cum paranormal romance. But Written in Red didn’t cross that line. It stayed firmly in urban fantasy, with some fast-paced action, heavy suspense, and strong world and character building neither of which overlapped on the story which was full of emotion.

There were a variety of threats from different angles, making this multi-dimensional and meaning as a reader you didn’t know where the attack may come from exactly. It made reading much more enjoyable and interesting than just waiting for “that” person to make their move.

Meg was a wonderful character, she was strong but still showed immense weakness that was relevant given her trauma. Her vulnerability was something she didn’t like to show but it would come out at times and with certain characters as her trust built. I felt a real affinity with her which only grew as I got to know her more as the book progressed.

Simon is the leader of the Others in the Lakeside community, a werewolf who lets Meg live and work in the community. He is strong and I felt Anne Bishop shows strongly he is a wolf through and through, even when he is in human form the wolf is always there, he never forgets who is is first and foremost.

Whilst this doesn’t slip into being a paranormal romance, it is clear there could be a romance element in future books. I don’t think this would overwhelm or take away from a main storyline though. Anne Bishop has very carefully woven the underlying elements of what could be a romantic storyline into the book but it is subtle and not a main part of the story.

I haven’t enjoyed an urban fantasy this much for quite some time, I will definitely be getting the second book in this series as soon as I can and will be checking out more Anne Bishop novels very soon.
on 22 May 2017
Not having read anything by Anne Bishop before I was a unsure what to expect. I've read a lot of shifter and vampire books but I thought this was unlike any of these previous ones.

I loved the relationship between Meg and Simon and the way the "Others" refer to her as "our Meg". The world building, the character descriptions, just wonderful.

A series I will definitely be carrying on with.
on 22 August 2017
Take your hat off to this fantastic author who possesses the undeniably rare quality of full immersion in this epic new world. This series has it all, suspense, intrigue, romance and betrayal. I fell in love with these characters who jumped out of the page and pulled me in. I cried, laughed, felt Joy and despair in equal measure. An absolute must read for avid readers who read to be swept away to a new rollercoaster of a world....
on 15 September 2017
Wow ...can't recommend enough thus book urban fantasy, very different from usual shifter books....please buy and see for yourself ,
on 1 September 2016
What a fantastic read! Such a good book and so well written. I love Meg! What a fantastic character. The world created is so unique such a lot of book for the money. This monkey loved it! X
on 17 July 2017
It's 3.30am, and I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. Such a great discovery! I can't wait to read other work by this author!
on 4 October 2017
Fun read
on 29 June 2017
I could not put this book down! Brilliant world building and great characters, the story just kept getting better and I can't wait to Read the next book.
on 6 January 2018
A very enjoyable book looking forward to reading the next in the series. This chosen for me to read by my secret Santa in the gr group nabcc.
on 5 July 2014
If you want time to catch up on your sleep make sure you start reading this book when you know you have the opportunity to sleep into the following day. If you don't, a lot of self control will be required to ensure that you don't stay up till the wee hours of the morning. Which is what I did. I have barely had 4 hours sleep and yet all I can think about is this book. Wishing I had savoured it more as it was so fantastic loved loved loved it