Customer reviews

Iron Gray Sea: Destroyermen
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 July 2012
Unlike some of the earlier books, this one is action packed - too much in fact. Iron Gray Sea is certainly a good read - well-written action, nicely paced, and we see a bit of each of our favourite characters. But this book, while the same length as its predecessors feels unfulfilling. The reason is that the Grand Alliance has 7 separate major plot threads, a few of which have many smaller branches. And of course, the Grik have a couple as well. If we count even the small ones, I think there are 17 distinct threads. A lot is going on, and the increasing cast is scattered across the known world. There are many battles and conflicts, but only O-Reddy and walker get a truly significant chunk to themselves. Of course, this is supposedly our main thread but many of our favourite characters aren't on Walker any more. For example, all we see of 'Major' Chack (his promotion to Colonel in the previous book is ignored) is his being ordered off of USS Walker to fly to Manila to put together a commando Marine unit. I'm not counting that as even a minor plot thread, because we don't hear about him at all except at the end when we get a line telling his efforts are coming along but not as fast as hoped. Of course, we're probably going to see a lot of him inthe next book but not following a character who has been central to the series since its beginning leaves an empty hole in the book. Others, like Laney and Garett, get even less.

The only characters followed as actual characters (rather than people through which we see epic battles and dramatic events) are Captain Reddy and Sandra Tucker.

This book remedies all the previous complaints about not enough action. But in this book its so full that several of the scenes feel skipped over or rushed. This leaves you feeling unstatisfied when you reach the end. If Anderson is going to have this much going on he needs to expand the length of the book by about 50%. The current length doesn't do his plot justice even though it only advances the timline by three months!

The epilogue is something of a humdinger with some elements I certainly like, and one I think could complicate the series catastrophically.

The above seems overwhelmingly negative, but note the 5 stars. My chief complaint is that while previous books left you wanting more and with an elemtent of suspense, they nevertheless felt like complete books. This one doesn't. It feels like Taylor Anderson was writing away and suddenly notioved he'd exceeded his target word count, stopped, chopped out a several middle scenes and then tidied up the plot threads to give it an ending. However, his characters are getting more fleshed out and complex, his writing style is improving and a few characters of uncertain motives have been added to the mix. And, as always, he writes brilliant battle scenes - even if there are too many of them to fit comfortably. Overall, its a very good read and if you're following the series then certainly continue.
on 23 July 2012
He is BACK!
I was losing hope after the last few books, which some were still good reads but lacked the thrill from the first three. This one is just great, and I will hope he continues down this path. Im am all though beginning to hope that we will soon see an and to some of the enemies that are just to dislikeable to follow for the long read (I love a great bad guy/guys, but some just has to little charm to have running around for to long) . A big great battle to end one of the enemy fractions is what I continue to hope for, and maybe something IS about to happen, it certainly ends with a promise for the next one.

But the book is ecxellent, the battlesscenes are fantastic, and the anoying political dramas are nicely written down to a few pages, I like my books to have their actions in the battlefield and not in the courthouses and government offices, but since you can never have one without the other, the balance here is just fine.

If you liked the first three books, and have hoped for something similar (especially Rising Tides were a big disappointment to me), this will keep you in your lawnchair long after the sun has set.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2014
It is getting hard to find new ways to praise Taylor Anderson's fantastic Destroyermen series set in a (very) alternate Earth circa 1942. At one time I did not believe that it was possible to beat William R Forstchen's Lost Regiment series but now I think Anderson might just be edging in front.

Written in a relaxed easy to read style the episodes flow together creating a strange world that is totally believable. Well, maybe there are not many ships that have crews who are totally brilliant at so many other things but that's nit-picking.

I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to more.
on 28 July 2015
This is the seventh book in Taylor Anderson’s Destroyermen series of books. The Destroyermen series follows the USS Walker and old pre-ww2 oil powered destroyer after it is mysteriously transported to an alternate earth.

As this is the seventh book in the series you really need to have read the other books in the series before you read this one. While there is some backstory in places, you will enjoy this book more if you had all the story that came before in the previous books in there series.

A nice continuation of the Destroyerman series.
on 4 March 2015
Another good read from Anderson, an ever expanding world kept on the boil with war on several fronts, plenty to keep every fan happy, just not enough of the Central charectors for me, I love the interactions of the likes of silva, spanky , chack, and even Bradford. Just not enough of them in this book. Lots of new people and places adding to the story
Overall a cracking chapter in the story, well worth the immersion in this wierd world.
on 31 December 2013
i bought this for my husband for xmas it arrived quickly and was very convieniently del to a local shop which was great
on 2 August 2013
I have been looking forward to reading this instalment of the Destroyermen series and have not been disappointed in any way.Fast paced and full of action I read it in one sitting.Well done Mr Anderson
on 10 July 2013
Delivered well within declared parameters. This is one of the Great science fiction series. Iron Grey Sea continues forward superbly. Highly recommended.
on 5 September 2014
I'm a follower of the saga and enjoying each book, and waiting eagerly for the next ....
on 24 November 2014