Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 21 July 2011
I wanted to read Phantom Waltz after reading Baby Love. I loved Rafe Kendrick the broken cowboy and was really looking forward to reading about his brother Ryan. I was a little bit disappointed with the book, it felt the like the story had been told half way through and the author was just throwing things in the way of the characters.
I know the usually formula for these types of book is, guy gets girl, guys loses girl, guys gets girl back. With Catherine Anderson taking on the unusual topic of a wheelchair I thought she might gives us something more with the story. It has its cute bits but as a story it relies heavily on the wheelchair being the main focus and not the love story.
on 6 January 2009
I didn't read this book, I listened to an audio version, and I have to say it was one of the most moving stories I have heard (or read) for a very long time. I thought it was lovely, and yes, it was probably sugar coated in so many ways which I cannot begin to fathom, having no personal experience of living with paralysis, but I just loved it and had difficulty turning my MP3 player off when I arrived at work each morning. I wholeheartedly recommend this.
on 26 February 2006
This is the second book I have read by Catherine Anderson, and I was not disappointed such a beautiful story, a love story where not everybody is beautiful in every way. I could not put it down. If you love this novel you will also love Catherine Anderson's Anne' Song just as wonderful a love story I am so glad
to have read them and they are on my keeper shelf.
on 1 May 2013
Another classic. Catherine Anderson writes beautifully and with real emotion. A real page turner. Enjoyable from beginning to end. Fantastic.
on 14 July 2008
I've enjoyed many of Anderson's books and this one is no exception. In Phantom Waltz she tackles the taboo romance subject of paraplegics, giving the reader a wonderfully emotionally touching story about a heroine who struggles daily with her disability and the hero who loves her just as she is. The only problem is that the story is TOO perfect. And I had to suspend belief too many times while reading this book.

*semi spoilers*

Its just too convenient that the hero is a drop dead gorgeous cowboy who is wanted by every woman in town. And he happens to fall in love at first sight with a woman who is physically perfect in every way except that she is paralyzed from the waste down. And unlike MOST paraplegics she has lots of sensations. And with all his money (yeah he's rich too) Ryan can buy Bethany any contraption she needs. And of course she doesn't want to become burden to the handsome stud so she gives him the red light on the relationship.

*sigh* The book was good -really, but just so very predictable. Too sugar coated. I wanted to see some real struggles other than I-can't-let-you-ruin-your-life-by-being-with-me. I just felt like Anderson breezed over the really hard issues that paralyzed people have to deal with.

So if the syrupy sweet factor doesn't bother you, then you go read Phantom Waltz. Its classic Anderson and most of her fans will love it. Me? I read it, enjoyed it and am moving on.
on 15 September 2001
I found this to be one of the most beautiful love stories I have read in a long while. I travel by train every day for about 30 minutes, this is my quiet reading time. I found I had to put this book down during the journey, as people were giving me strange looks because I was crying on the train. This is a wonderful, heart warming, funny, emotional story. The book is going straight onto my 'keep' shelf to be read again and again.
on 1 March 2012
---Some spoilers-----

Loved this book from Catherine Anderson! Such a lovely love story. Especially when you've been imerged in suspense and paranormal romance like I have lately, this is a nice step away from all the major angst. No big obstacles to overcome, no big 'obligatory' misunderstanding that takes up half the book. Having a heroin with a major disability and not have a 'miracle cure' at the end of the book but just a 'cure' because the hero will love her no matter what, it's really great.
If you like it when a love story focusses on the two main characters without diverting to secondary characters and plots all the time, this is the one to pick up. Such a sweet read.
on 1 November 2014
Love all her books
on 22 July 2001
This is the first book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed the storyline, which was emotional without being cloying. I was so involved in the story I found it hard to put down and I picked it up again as soon as I awoke. The characters were well drawn, had depth and as a reader I cared about what happened to them. I have now ordered more books by this author including Rafe and Maggie's story and look forward to more heartwarming storytelling.