Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2012
In this book we are introduced to more of Myron's family. Myron figures out that he cannot save everyone and sometimes it is better not to interfere. This book starts with Myron being asked for help by an old associate but soon develops into a mystery involving Myron's own family in the form of his estranged brother. This book introduces Myron's nephew Mickey who is the subject of a new Harlan Coben series.
This book is interesting as it does not give us the usual happy ever after story lines, with problems encountered by most of the major characters. I love the developement of the various story lines through the book and indeed the series and wonder where the author will bring them all next.
on 18 July 2016
I didn’t really get what the mystery was for the first third of this crime/ suspense novel. This is saying something about a suspense book when the author is as prolific and published as Harlan Coben. Even after that I was only mildly engaged and had only a vague idea what the mystery was all about.

Let me explain a bit more. Myron Bolitar is following, then chasing, and finally stalking Kitty Bolitar from a night club and wherever else she turns up. Why he is, is only explained in dribs and drabs. There’s Suzze, pregnant to the less famous rock star, Lex Ryder, of the duo called HorsePower. The charismatic star of HorsePower, Gabriel Wire, went missing 15-16 years ago. Brad Bolitar, Myron’s brother, is missing. Then Lex goes missing. Why are they all missing? Is it all linked to the same thing?

Brad and Myron had bad blood, which means that they’ve lost touch for the past 16 years. Is that linked too? Everything happened about 16 years ago. Or is Gabriel’s disappearance merely a conspiracy theory to generate more record sales?

Then someone is found dead more than halfway through the book.
There are some very nasty gangsters. By the end of the novel, I did get it. I had to reread who did what to whom, to grasp at all the connections, and what had happened to all the missing people.

Plus, did I mention Windsor Lockwood, aka Win, who gets the best action scenes, makes the smartest moves, and then decides to go missing. No. Really?

There are a few too many colloquialisms, e.g. “uh” and “waaay” during some of the narrative, which would date the novel, I think, and causes a sense of authorial intrusion. So, I wasn’t engrossed in the book, and at the end, I found some of the suspense felt a bit gratuitous.
on 19 November 2012
This is about my 14 or 15th harlan coben book i have read. Some of them i have loved but as you read through the myron bolitar series, the story gets obscured by unnecessary and boring descriptions of surroundings and how to hit, or not hit someone. Memories of childhood are repeated from other books and that seems so lazy to me and used as a page filler. I love the relationship and the storyline of myron and win but instead of upping the ante with the duo, it seems to me that coben cant be bothered and fills the pages with stuff previously written and fills and pads his books out now with stuff thats neither interesting or necessary. Disppointing and i wont be reading anymore for a long time.
on 24 August 2015
I listened to this book on Audio and really enjoyed it. The Narrator has a soothing voice and also has a wide repertoire of voices for each character. The only books of Coben I had read previous to this one was one from the Micky Bolitar series (I didn't realise it was a young adult book but enjoyed it anyway). I agree with one of the other reviews that the fighting scenes were described too fully but I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I couldn't stop listening at the end to find out what happened. It as it filled in some gaps for me for the Micky Bolitar book I had read and gave a bit more back ground to 'Uncle Myron'. I recommend this book in Audio and if you haven't tried Audio books then do, they are great as you can listen to a good story whilst driving or getting other jobs done.
on 18 April 2015
I read this book from beginning to end today - an easy book to read. It's defiantly one for the thriller lovers with an interesting unfolding. Murder and financial corruption as usual - go hand in hand.
on 23 June 2013
If you like all the other Myron Bolitar book then this will reach all your expectations. The normal characters are evident including the amazing Esperanza and the slightly disturbing Win. This book also introduces some new characters none more strange than a long lost brother called Brad.

Although this book has the action and the pace of the others which I have loved I just couldn't get round the sudden appearance of a brother for Myron. Having read and loved all the other Bolitar stories there has previously been no mention of a brother. This addition to the story is just too fantastic for you to fully enjoy this story. The author attempts to describe where this brother comes from but it is just not totally believable.

A cynic would say that the brother needed to be introduced so that a nephew could be introduced. I believe there is a whole series of books that have been developed around the nephew. Overall this is a good story which has aspects that are not true and were clearly introduced for the authors own gain.
on 3 March 2014
This is probably the last in the Myron Bolitar series - unless Mr Coben finds himself in need of some extra cash in a few years' time! It is a good read, with all the usual main characters doing what they usually do, and the new ones are interesting and typically larger-than-life.
Some reviewers have been critical of the repetition in Coben's books; it's true that certain salient facts are repeated in almost every one, but it is only repetitive if you read them all - which I and many others have chosen to do because we enjoy them. If you just picked one up not knowing anything about the main characters, the oft repeated background info would be useful. Each book is a stand-alone thriller, but if you read a Myron Bolitar story and enjoy it, try to go back to the beginning and work your way through - there is a list on Amazon which puts them in order - but perhaps don't start with this one as it's the last!
Coben is now writing about Myron's nephew, Mickey, to whom we are introduced in "Live Wire", but judging by most of the reviews, these are aimed at teenagers rather than adults.
on 26 July 2012
I have read all of Harlan Coben's novels and always enjoy them. The books in the Myron Boliter series are witty and action packed, Myron is a loveable, jokey, self depreciating hero and Win is just a psycho!

Live Wire is the latest book in the Myron series, number 10 I think? The story isn't as physically action packed as his previous stories but there are lots of twists and plenty to keep you guessing. There is some insight into the Bolitar family history and Myron's nephew Mickey, who is the hero in a new series of stories, is introduced. I love the chemistry between Myron and Win, the dialogue about Mee and Yu is so funny :-)There seems to be quite a jump from Long Lost (Myron 9.) to this one but maybe that's because it's a while since I read it?

I hope the new Mickey Bolitar series isn't intended to replace the Myron one, it is advertised as a young adult's series and I am no longer young! Please Mr Coben, if you have to bring the Myron & Win stories to an end, don't let them fizzle out behind Mickey's new story lines, give them a well-deserved finale!
on 25 April 2013
Felt like a filler book in order to bring about the end of the Myron/Win era and move onto a younger central character. It was fine, but no real surprises and, for me, not anywhere near a proper send-off for two of my favourite characters. He has left the door open, so perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but in any event, this is definitely not a classic.
on 16 April 2011
I have loved the Myron Bolitar series for many years now, and it must be said, it is one of the most criminally underrated series in printed history. If, like me, you've followed the adventures of Myron, Win and Esperanza book to book, then I urge you to pick this one up. I was a little disappointed with Coben's previous effort Long Lost, but Live Wire really brings the series back to form. Even if it's not as great as the early stories it is still definitely well worth the read.

Without giving too much away, Live Wire follows Myron doing what he does best, namely, playing the hero. It does contrast however as we get to see a deeper glimpse into his family, especially his estranged brother and his nephew. The writing is as witty as ever, and it's interesting to see how the ageing Win and Myron deal with the modern world. I was disappointed with how the book ended. If this is going to be the last of the series it would have been nice to not have so many loose ends left loose.

One thing you will notice, which has been apparent with the last few books, is that the characters are getting old. Win and Myron aren't the 30-something-year-olds we first met in Deal Breaker as Coben will repeatedly point out. Once you finish this book you will even question whether there will be another Myron Bolitar novel, at least one where Myron, Win and Esperanza take centre stage. It does seem apparent that Harlan Coben intends to shift the focus of the series to Myron's nephew, Mickey (the first of these books, titled 'Shelter', will be released in 2012).