on 20 March 2010
Despite the title, this book is not about getting your children to take stupid risks. It is about allowing them to learn to handle risk and danger in a safe and responsible way and at an appropriate time for their maturity. It is a definitive backlash against all the modern overprotection of children promoted by lawyers, Health and Safety Departments and hyped up by the press.

Many of the activities are normal things that many many parents did as children and survived. The books premise is that it is safer to allow children to learn about risk in a controlled environment so that they can learn to assess it and make informed decisions, rather than wrapping them in bubble wrap and making them afraid of everything and hence incompetent and more likely to hurt themselves through inexperience.

It also, rightly points out the extent to which overprotecting stunts a sense of discovery and learning.
This is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Surprisingly, all parents I have met who have bought this are delighted. It seems to have 'given people permission' to allow their kids to do things that parents have been too afraid to allow them to do because they felt everyone would condemn them for it. Now they can finally breathe and say that yes, why shouldn't their kids wittle with a penknife like we all used to...as long as they are taught how. Of course they might cut themselves but so did we and the vast majority of us lived to tell the tale. Never mind the fact that learning that you survive cuts, bumps and bruises is also a valuable lesson.

Buy it. None of it is amazingly dangerous. There are careful prep recommendations and much of it is just plain old fashioned kids experimenting and discovering but in a controlled environment.
This book needs 30 stars.
on 13 February 2015
interesting book...i will definitely try some of those, my daughter is only 1 but will grow into stage of trying dangerous things
on 8 June 2015
Great ideas and reckon I could add another 50!
on 1 April 2013
Brilliant book, full of good 'old fashioned' things for kids to do. From simple things like putting your hand out of a car window when its moving, to more 'dangerous' things like using sharp knives, and fun things like poisoning your friends!

full of the sort of things we used to do ourselves as kids, before we had electronic games to keep us safe indoors.... feed their minds!
on 20 March 2016
I have only leafed through it as it was a gift, but the recipient is looking much forward to applying it to his two sons. (And I will be enjoying the results from the sideline.)
on 22 September 2015
Every Parent Should Read This Book!
on 23 January 2015
Excellent, recommended seller.
on 27 July 2014
Like it
on 26 February 2015
Interestingly written and very useful book.
on 16 October 2012
I absolutely love this book and what the author is trying to achieve, his tinker school fills me with hope for our protected/sheltered young. I recently bought this for my twin brothers on their first birthday. I know they won't do most of it for many many years but i really got it for my step-mum. To open her up to allowing her kids to have a bit more connection with the world and enjoyment with it especially in the current modern parenting 'worried' society.

We found a lot of simple things she hadn't done, even some I hadn't. We now as a family are picking things we want to do with my young siblings and I can really see what this book is about is good quality family time.

I truly can't wait to fill the journal part of the book and document my siblings growing up and picking up these important life skills.

and if you haven't go and lick a 9 volt battery!