Customer reviews

on 7 July 2010
I do like Victoria Laurie books, they are easy to read and not heavy going.
The interactions between M.J, Gilly (who is rather a weak man, scared of almost everything) and Heath (who she is attracted to but she has a boyfriend, Steven), are excellent.
Scotland is a very good place to have a ghost story as it is well known for being haunted, especially underneath the City. Mixing witches from hundreds of years ago,a curse and modern times I liked.
I also think the Abby Cooper series is good as well.
I can't wait for her next book --she doesn't write them quick enough for me.
on 1 December 2015
I read it but....not sure what to make of it. A cross between a very cheesey edition of Most Haunted and an episode of Scooby-Do with some "real" murders thrown in to appeal to an adult audience? I cant believe this book was actually aimed at an adult audience, its a total load of rubbish, with stereotypical characters, Gilley is gay, and acts like a diva, bursting into tears everywhere, and Heath is masterful, but kind ...and the total lack of research about Edinburgh, where this rubbish is set is laughable. Cottages with front gardens and brightly painted shutters? In Edinburgh, a Wimpey bar (?) next to a house that turns out to have a ruined ( and haunted) castle in the garden...!
I read it, but I may wish on my death bed to have that hour back, DONT waste yours !
on 1 June 2010
This is the fourth book from the Ghost Hunter Mystery series featuring MJ Holliday (ghost hunter and medium), her best friend and business partner Gilley and Heath Whitefeather a fellow ghost hunter first seen in the last book Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend.

I love Victoria Laurie's books and this is no exception. Her characters have many dimensions and she isn't afraid to show their flaws, like true friends, you know that they can be sulky, snarky and sometimes a pain in the neck, but you still love them - and this is how you end up feeling about these characters. I like that we were able to learn more about Heath, showing his sense of humour rather than being a ghost hunting pretty boy.

As far as the mystery part of the story goes, the clues were all cleverly concealed, so you get to figure out the mystery along with the characters - a perfect plot! Like all Laurie's books, the reveal at the end was full of excitement, danger, spooky goings on and a little bit of sadness, topped off with some humour too.

The new characters of Gopher, John, Meg and Kim are probably all going to be featured in the next books, expanding the cast and sub-plotlines, making for complex and exciting future books. There was a cliff hanger at the end with the appearance of Dr Steven and I hope that this isn't the last we see of him. The only irritant in this book is the characters we offered tea with cream, something that I doubt any British person would have - you drink tea with milk! Although you may have a cream tea which involves eating cakes and scones with cream at teatime.

I knew that this book would be brilliant, and I wasn't disappointed. The fast paced storyline, likable characters, paranormal subjects and humour in the books all add up to an exciting read, and one that I'll re-read too. My only problem, is that it was over too soon and I have to wait until next year for the next book.
on 10 January 2013
This is one of my fave authors and i devour her books in one sitting..
I loved this book - the storyline was great and very fast paced.. i love the development and how its laid out..
I agree with most of the comments i have seen about Gilly's character - he is an annoyance to me now and i find myself hoping that MJ will kick him out on his merry way, he is whiny and boring and needs a kick up the bahooky, to much emphasis is put on his fears and phobias and he needs to get in line or get out the story...
My only other gripe is that the preview of the next book in the series has left me gagging for some more MJ and i hate being left on a cliffhanger - why is the good doctor back and what will this mean for her current relationship... DUM DUM DUMMMM
Come on miss laurie dont leave us hanging....... Hx
on 6 December 2013
loved this book one of the best one I have read in awhile would highly recommend it, a favoured author of mine
on 21 March 2015
I love Victoria Laurier, her books are excellent and keep you interested righ to the end