Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2015
when i was younger i was more into horror than the thriller/crime novels i tend to read nowadays.and i remembered reading a few BENTLEY LITTLE books (The Mailman being a favourite) and thought id try out one of his more recent efforts to see if his writing had become a bit more serious/less weird so id enjoy it.this started off that way and i was intrigued and entertained but unfortunately further into the book the weird surreal perverse world of Mr Bentley creeped back in and i realised why i didnt like him anymore.fans of this type of extreme fantastical horror might like it.but if like me you like your shocks rooted in reality id avoid.
Bentley Little is one of the most unique horror story writers around. Though this is not his best effort, it is still a worthy effort. No one makes the banal seem more horrific than this author.

When Steve Nye is contacted by his mother and says that his father tried to kill her and is confined to a psychiatric ward, Steve pays him a visit. Although he is apprised by his father's doctor that his dad has dementia, Steve begins to believe that his father harbors a guilty secret, by virtue of a statement his father makes to him. He reads something into it that renders Steve speechless, causing him to undertake a very personal investigation.

Where that investigation takes Steve and how he views his girlfriend subsequently, is the stuff of which this book is made. Juxtaposing the banal and commonplace alongside murder in a matter of fact way that is chilling is the strength of this book. This book is an intriguing foray into the author's ability to turn the commonplace into something sinister.
on 5 November 2009
Having read Bentley Little for years I find his books fall into two categories. Insane, makes no sense, supernatural books (The House, The Town, The Revelation, Dispatch) & real world, conspiracy weirdness books (The Store, The Association, The Academy, The Ignored). I much prefer the latter types of book. But "His Fathers Son" does not fit in either category (and not just because it doesn't have "The" in the title). Which is a very pleasant surprise.

Not wanting to give away any details of the story all I will say is that the structure is interesting in that you get some bonus material in the book.

Overall its a great horror novel that kept me intrigued and actually had a pretty good ending, which is pretty rare in a Bentley Little book.
on 21 November 2009
I absolutely adore Bentley Little's work. He has a quirky way of writing, and is satisfyingly random enough to create shock and disbelief for the reader. However, as much as it pains me to write this, 'His Father's Son' is not one of my favourites. Yes, it has the usual shocks, and yes, Little's writing is as fab and descriptive as ever. However, I just felt that this book didn't sock it to me like all his other novels have done. Whilst I was reading it, I was reminded of Stephen King's laborious way of writing (i.e. making the same point over and over again; the same thing happenning over and over again, except in different locations - can you tell I'm not a Stephen King fan??!) I have never felt that way before when reading a Bentley Little book. I would go as far to say that Bentley Little is my second fave author (the 1st being Richard Laymon) and I'm just hoping that this was a one off. True, the story line is ok, and has the usual Bentley shocks, but it's not his best work by far.
on 16 July 2010
this book had me gripped from the word go. i started reading it and couldnt put it down.
on 25 August 2011
I wanted this watch for quite a long time as soon as it came out but like most things that first come out felt it was too pricey at the time. I had already had got the previous model the 305 which I had used for a number of years and was happy with it bar the size of it and that it took a little time to grab the satellite coverage quickly. I finally purchased this watch recently as it was better priced than before. I did read a number of reviews beforehand about it the main problem seemed to be the problem with the bezel and how sensitive it was. I gathered that it seemed very ipodesque in its controls which it was to start with i was able to manouvere the bezel ok the signal grabbing the satellites locked on very quickly much quicker than the 305. The only downside that grabbed me immeadiately was there were only 3 fields of data as a maximum so I sacrificed the time as my 1 field to not include(although you could see the time when running if you pressed the button at the top). The problems started after my 1st run, I had problems in getting the bezel to work properley I reset the watch numerous amount of times and still seemed to have problems with the setting up for my next run, I may have received a faulty watch but as I did not encounter no where near as many problems with the 305 and the 305 to be fair to its age - does the job everything you need apart from being bulkier i cannot really fault the 305 so really its up to you the 405 looks better locks the signal quicker but it it better not im my opionion but maybe the newer 405 is better perhaps - I think i will still stick with my 305.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2009
He is so versatile in his writings, books don't always finish how you would expect them to but that's what makes him fascinating to read.