Customer reviews

on 23 July 2017
I found suzanne Arruda's books by chance and have thorougholy enjpoyed every one.
on 9 March 2017
Good fast paced adventure with excellent descriptions of Kenya & of animals
First Sentence: I'll be fine.

Jade del Cameron is a single, independent woman. She's a photojournalist, helps wrangle wild animals, rides a motorcycle and is learning to fly. Sam, a wounded American war hero, wants to propose but isn't certain Jade is willing to forsake her independence for marriage. Sam is suspected is suspected of murdering a local merchant and it is up to Jade to prove him innocent.

The book started off well for me. The opening scene was exciting and suspenseful.

Jade is an interesting character, I had hoped she would remind me of Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher. Unfortunately not. However, I did like her reaction to finding a dead body.

However, I found I had very hard time getting into the story and the characters. The whole exchanging journals thing annoyed me, There are references to events from previous books but I don't mind them as they are adequately explained. There is a lot of exposition but nothing that pulls me into the plot. There is copious extraneous detail the strong sense of place I would expect for a book in this setting, is completely lacking.

I loved the chapter headings from the traveler, but that wasn't enough to save this book for me. Between not being able to feel any affinity for the characters, the plot plodding along and the very poor dialogue, I couldn't stay with it.

THE LEOPARD'S PREY (Hist Mys-Jade del Cameron-British East Africa-Golden Age) - DNF
Arruda, Suzanne - 4th in series
NAL Trade, 2009, US Paperback - ISBN: 0451227611
on 3 June 2016
After tangling with The Serpents Daughter in Tangiers Jade and her pilot beau Sam Featherstone return to British East Africa.
It is July 1920 and Jade is working for the Perkins and Daley zoological company helping them to collect wild animals for zoos in the United States.
After posing as bait to capture a leopard Jade meets up with pilot Sam Featherstone who is teaching her to fly at the coffee growing plantation of friends Madeleine and Neville Thompson. When Madeleine finds the body of Martin Stokes, a local merchant in a coffee dryers cylindrical drum the local police are called in and when they determine the cause of death to be murder Jade is drawn into solving the case.
This is the fourth book in the Jade del Cameron series. First published in January 2009 it contains all the ingredients that make the series such enjoyable reads.