on 2 September 2010
Holly Carver is a witch who sometimes relies on the help of Alessandro Caravelli for her family's preternatural investigations business. Alessandro is the oldest and strongest vampire in Fairview - and he's made no secret of his desire for Holly. But while she aches to succumb to his suggestive wiles, she knows it would be an invitation to trouble.

Then Alessandro's queen, Omara, complicates matters when she turns up in Fairview to enlist his help. Sultry and manipulative, she is jealous of Alessandro's feelings for Holly, and demands he use Holly to trap Geneva - the most evil demon of all.
The premise was good, ideas superb, but the execution not as great as it could of been, I can only describe reading the novel as one dimensional, it just didn't keep my interest & I struggled to finish it. a very easy read though, if you just want to switch off...

Unchained (Dark Forgotten) is another in the Dark Forgotten Series just in case.

Wish I could not be more positive.
on 30 October 2014
I liked it
on 6 May 2009
I really enjoyed this book. From the initial scene where heroine Holly Carver is trying to rescue some people from a haunted house, to the gradual worldbuilding as we learn about supernatural creatures and their own form of hell, to Holly's awakening to her possible role in a centuries-old battle, to her romance with a man who really won't be good for her long-term... we follow the actions of Holly and her business partner Alessandro Caravelli, a six-centuries-old vampire. Holly's magic was subdued by a spell that went wrong when she was young and she makes her living by doing minor witchy jobs to pay for her tuition at a business course at college. However she finds herself dragged into rather bigger issues when a demon uses her own home to try to step through into this world.

Caravelli is a fascinating character in this book, a man of integrity and goodness but who also knows and fears his nature as predator. He knows there isn't any future for him with Holly but wants to help her and to keep her safe. With several other men floating in and out of Holly's life, she doesn't always know who to trust, and those she loves the most may cause her harm. But if Holly and Caravelli can discover who is trying to control the demon and can stop the influx of evil into our world, they may find a whole new situation where they can rescue supernaturals condemned to an eternal punishment.

The writing style of this book was excellent with a good plot which unveiled at a comfortable pace. I always followed the story, not getting lost in complexities that one can find in this kind of book. Holly and Alessandro were great lead characters, although Holly was slightly less fully fleshed out in terms of her motivations and feelings. The threads of the story were well wrapped up in this book although there were a few minor plot events that will presumably follow in the next story. All in all this was always an enjoyable read with an appealing hero and a good take on the supernatural/paranormal world.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2009
on 12 October 2011
Ravenous is the first book in the Dark Forgotten series by Sharon Ashwood. It follows the story of witch Holly Carver and her business partner vampire Alessandro Caravelli. Together they run a paranormal investigation business so that Holly can afford to go to college. After an accident when she was younger Holly cannot access all of her magic and can only perform little M magic as the big M magic leaves her in terrible pain. They are called out to investigate a haunted house where some students, including Holly's teacher boyfriend Ben, have gone into the house but have not come back out, they have mysteriously disappeared. Even though Holly saves Ben's life the job goes bad and after performing some big M magic Holly is nearly consumed by the house she is only saved by Alessandro. Suddenly creatures that were thought of as extinct are showing up in town and Alessandro discovers that portals to hell are being opened up by a very powerful demon. The vampire Queen Omara comes to town and Holly is forced to help banish the demon back to hell, but that's ok because the demon also wants to end Holly's life.

I enjoyed this book it is a mix between UF and PNR. I liked the characters and it was great to have vampires in a book that were bad and didn't pretend to be anything else, they saw humans as play things. Alessandro is the archetypal vampire, dressed in tight leather, good looking, dangerous and sexy as hell and I loved him for that. Even though it was a bit PNR for me I liked the story between Holly and Alessandro, especially the scene where he has to bite her. The pace of the book was perfect with a good storyline. The only bit that I had a problem with was the ending it was like another author had written that part of the book. After what had previously happened I found this to be too much of a happy ending and I wish that another ending had been written. Saying that the rest of the book was brilliant so I can put up with it and if you like PNR I don't think you will have an issue with it. I will be carrying on with the series and would like to give Ravenous 4 stars.
on 28 June 2009
I thought i'd give this a go when i read the review here.

The idea of a witch who can't perform high-level (big M-magic)magic is a good one. When the heroine first uses big M-magic i was expecting...well more than i got. I felt as if part of the story had been edited out, the part that actually gave some idea of the susposed pain big M-magic causes the heroine, however there was nothing there. Also not there was any tension- between the heroine and the vampire-hero, and in the novel generally.

What a waste of time and money! It was pap, it actually made Laurell K Hamilton's latest offering look good. Please, someone tell me why authors MUST put vampires in tight leather...with fringing? I got half way through with the under-developed changelings, and just couldn't stand it any longer.

I see no point reading a book that made me cringe throughout the half that i read.