on 1 February 2016
J R Ward has created a wonderful modern vampire romance. An intriguing mix of American street culture, vampire warrior society with a healthy dash of fated love. If you are a fan of Alphamale Romance and vampire styles like Laurell K Hamilton's, then you will love this book. (If you are a Twilight / Vampire Accademy style fan then this might not be for you - no teen lit. dramas or constant self reflection here, no sparkly tormented vampires or boyfriend issues.)
Ward's rich modern world depicts much of the common vampire lore we know, but also adds some nice twists, such as; class structure, mating practices and a deity. The writing has a great balance of description and action, and unlike so many other PNR stories, the plot doesn't take second place to the romance. Yes, there is plenty of (steamy!) romance through the the book, but there is also an interesting antagonist with a deadly mission and a rich supporting cast with layers and depths of their own.
From the romance angle, another thing that Ward does so well is the strong Female Lead. This is a hard thing to do in an Alphamale romance, where many authors fall into the trap of claiming the women are strong, before turning them into brainless cabbages once a strong pair of shoulders come along. Ward doesn't make the FL butch or cold but maintains her strength of character through the book, and ensure that the relationship with the muscled fearsome alpha male is one of equality. All in all there are so many winning qualities in this book, that I would even be tempted to recommend it to people not familiar with the vampire genre. It has definitely become a firm favourite of mine and an author I will avidly follow.
on 28 July 2010
I have been resisting the recommendation to buy JR Ward for sometime. I think it was the idea of the Black Dagger Brotherhood- it just didn't appeal. I finally caved when I was stuck for something new in this genre and bought the first book.
I actually really enjoyed it. The story was engaging enough; Wrath the reluctant vampire king, trying to do the right thing by his deceased brother, Darius, by helping his daughter Beth through her transition. He inevitably develops feelings for her. That is the basic storyline to be honest- there is some side story relating to the "Lessers" a group of people who give up their souls to the Omega for the sole purpose of destroying the vampire race. I tended to skim read over those parts to be honest because they just weren't as interesting. There is a good introduction to the other brothers, who all seem very well-thought out characters with their own story waiting to get out. Their relationships with each other are perhaps the best thing about the book.

The reason that I only gave this 3 stars when I enjoyed it as much as I did, was that I wasn't always very sure about Wrath as a character until nearer the end. It was also because this feels very much like an introductory book. I got the impression that things were going to get better in the future now that the initial introductions and explanations were out of the way. If you liked this book at all, definitely try the next 2 in the series. When I did, I discovered that the series really improves and it's worth sticking with it.
on 18 August 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this first instalment. I am a huge fan of anything vampire but also very fussy about what I read.....this I could get my teeth into straight away (see what I did there?!) I started this series off the back of the recommendation from one of my favourite authors - Kristen Ashley - who said this series rocks and so far, once again, she is right! Loved the characters, good story, great characters, loved the humour and the heroine was awesome.
on 14 January 2014
Everyone kept telling me to start this series and OMG I'm so glad I did. Through Elizabeth and Wrath we are introduced to the world of the vampires and the lessers. Wrath is the blind king asked by one of his 'brothers' to look out for his daughter should anything happen to him. Beth doesn't know that she is half human half vampire and is about to go through the change. Wrath doesn't want to become involved with Beth but finds her hard to resist and an emotional love story develops at the same time as the fight for the vampire survival. A great start to the series will be buying book 2 now.
on 17 October 2016
4-4.5 stars
This series has been recommended to me by a few friends so I'm very happy I've  finally read the first book.

The brotherhod vampires are all dark, brooding, hot bad-a$$es (especially Wrath...phew I want more of him!) and I loved that the heroine Beth, was strong but caring. She wasn't afraid to stand up to the very dominant Wrath and say what she thought, she adapted well to the dangerous new world she was forced into because of her previously unknown parentage. There was humour here and I loved the banter between the brothers and Butch, the human cop.
The only thing that let it down for me (hence not 5 stars) were the baddies, the lessers. They weren't bad enough, they were just....lesser! I want to hate the bad guys as much as I want to love the "good" guys, but for me they were a bit flat.
Saying that I did enjoy it a lot and will definitely be reading the next installment.
on 28 April 2017
OMG What took me so long to start this series. It was amazing from the very start and I was sucked right in. T.h Black Dagger Brotherhood are HOT HOT HOT and I can't wait to read more!
on 5 May 2017
Jus couldn't put this book down and I'm gonna download the second one straight away now! Different to what I normally read 👌🏽
on 17 January 2016
I choose this book as it was recommended and truly I did want to like it but sadly I was bored and forced myself to read it till the end loved the characters but found my mind wandering as the story didn't grip me and suck me in.
on 11 February 2013
Have never really read anything "vampirish"/supernatural in the past but picked up a couple of vampire romances a few weeks ago, these lead me onto the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Excellent story, well written, romance quite literally mixed with thriller. Will definitely be reading the series, at least for the time being.
on 10 November 2015
I love them, every single one of the characters in these amazing books. I could get completely lost in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.