on 12 November 2010
This story was gripping. Mark's greatest adversary, Carter Sweeney is back in a story involving the whole group, including Jack Stewart for a short but important section of the story. The tension built slowly, with both Mark and us the reader realising with Carter Sweeney involved something much more dramatic than a simple murder will happen. As the previous reviewer said, there were twists and turns aplenty. Characters from previous books and the TV series are mentioned frequently, which I really enjoyed as a fan. I was hooked and literally couldn't put the book down (as the bags under my eyes this morning will prove!)

However, the part I felt let the book down was the last 20 pages. Because of the situation he is in, Mark has to take drastic action. Lee Goldberg goes to great lengths to try to explain his behaviour, but having watched Diagnosis Murder for years and read all of the books I felt Mark's actions were a leap too far. Mark usually solves murders using his brain power and, although clever, the ending seemed very out of character and slightly sinister.

Also, the denouement with all the gang back together was only two and half pages, which felt incredibly abrupt for such a complex story, especially with this being the final book in the series.

All in all I loved the book and would recommend it to fans because for 220 pages I was captivated. I just wish Lee Goldberg would have given us an extra ten pages or so to properly finish the book. All I can hope is the lack of conclusive ending for the characters mean he is leaving it open to write more books!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 May 2007

With this book, Lee Goldberg brings his DIAGNOSIS: MURDER books to a close, at least for now. And he's written a fitting finale. It brings back one of his favorite villains from the series and uses him well. There's enough of a recap of the TV episodes that he appeared in, so if he doesn't sound familiar, don't fear. This book also discusses the endings of the previous books in the series, so if you are planning to read them, don't start here.

This book does start very slowly. About a quarter of the way into it, I was getting bored and wondering where it was going. Then things really took off and I was hooked for the rest of the book. And those events from the first quarter? Absolutely essential to what comes next. As always, the series characters are captured perfectly and the new characters are sharp.

Not only does this book close out the book series, but it also serves as a finale for the TV show. Yet it leaves the door open for further adventures. Frankly, I'd love to know what happens to these old friends next.

This is a book for the fans. Anyone looking for closure for these characters should read it. I'm definitely going to miss them. I just hope that something changes and we can get more adventure with these characters at some point in the future.
on 8 October 2013
This was a gift but it came in good condition and it was exactly what I needed, thank you very much.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2007
Lee Goldbergs brilliant 'Diagnosis murder' series of books ends with this brilliant tale. More twists and turns than the proverbial. Carter Sweeney's latest plot from his death row prison cell soon catches all the people Mark holds dear in it's grip. With steve, Amanda, Jesse and Susan all being held for crimes they didn't commit, It's up to Mark to uncover the plot. Who will get the last word? Jack Stewart makes a welcome appearance in this book. Brilliantly gripping.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2007
Having read and loved all of Lee Goldberg's previous Diagnosis Murder novels, I had high expectations for this latest and final novel in the series.

The plot was not particularly gripping which is relatively unusual for Lee's books. The return of Carter Sweeney brought with it the expectation of high drama which never ocurred. Just as the action began to start...the book ended abruptly.

Definately worth a read for any Diagnosis Murder fan but it's not one of Lee Goldberg's best DM books.