Customer reviews

on 28 June 1999
This book has replaced "The Heir" at the top of my list. Coulter has outdone herself with this book, I loved the characters instantly. I couldn't put it down. I read it in an afternoon. The books only flaw that I saw was that It wasn't part of a series, although I was literally jumping happy when Julien had a conversation with someone in her Magic series. If you've never read Coulter books start with this one, then move on to The Heir, then try the Magic series, and for a jump into modern times read Aftershocks. After this book you'll be an instant convert.
on 3 April 2012
I liked this book a lot...but it definitely wasn't what I imagined it would be. In fact, I think the title of the book is a little misleading. BUT that being said, it is a story of love and healing. As long as reading a book about someone who was abused as a child doesn't bother you and you love historical romance, you should give this one a try.
on 12 August 2008
When I started this book I really liked it. Catherine Couter is obviously a good writer. I liked the hero early in the book,the way in which he tried to get to know the heroine, that he regonised her innocence and that he gave her time. His subsiquent actions however were not so impressive he proved himself to be a brat that cannot take no for an answer no matter the lengths she goes to to get away from him even his folowing her and forcing her to marry him was somewhat understandable, the pursuit is understandabe because the heroine was ridiculously naive in many ways but RAPE IN NO WAY IS ROMANTIC, I'm aways a bit alarmed when I read reviews in books where the women are raped and treated horribly but they still get high ratings.
I dont recommend this book for anyone who loves romance.
on 23 February 1999
This book left me depressed. I have bought many books based on the comments listed and I think this one was off target. This is only the second book I read by this author. After reading books by Amanda Quick, I don't want to wait till the end of the book for our couple to get together. This book was not as cruel as Rosemary Rogers' books, but close. I do not recommend it.
on 21 May 1999
I am a great lover of romance. particularly historical however I loathed this book. The 'hero' is a control freakwho does not understand the word no. The first sexual encouter between the characters is nothing short of rape and he has little to recommend him. I am aware historically women were dominated by men, but am surprised by other reviewers who seem to like him. I thought we had moved on from being treated as possesions and objects. I won't give up the romance, but DON'T BUY THIS BOOK.
on 16 April 1997
Julien is the most wonderful hero ever to have been created in this genre. He's a warm, caring and sensitive yet masculine husband.

The friction between Julien and Kate was brilliant. It gave the book a feeling that there was more to it than just the sex.
on 25 October 1995
Loved the original--was the first Catherine Coulter book
I ever read-- almost 20 years ago. Was glad the additions
did not at all detract from the original story.

If you ever read this Catherine, I LOVE your books
and would very much like to correspond with you!!

Sheila...
on 26 June 1998
It was a very funny book and one that was quite amusing to see the heroine the way she is. And it was so well written that it'll capture your heart and make you cry when she makes her confession. It just totally broke my heart and I hope you will enjoy reading it too.
on 4 July 1998
This is my favorite book by Catherine Coulter. I've read most of her books, but this is the only one I've read twice and loaned out to countless friends.
on 24 August 1999
I love the characters, the way they re-emerge as friends of new characters. The leading men and women are so mean, good, loving, spunky and passionate. I'm currently searching for and reading all her books. Don't know what I'll read once I'm caught up.