Customer reviews

on 15 August 2006
I'm always in search of a good story that makes me chuckle but has enough of a plot to keep me interested. This hit the nail on the head. You're taken in to Abby's life, where you learn about the trials and tribulations of being an intuitive, caught up in criminal capers that take her over her head. As you follow her through the ups and downs of trying to solve the crime, sort out her man trouble and keep her puppy in fresh eggs, you get just enough of everything to keep you satisfied. Deep reading it ain't, but a perfect accompaniment to a quiet evening and a glass of wine it is!
on 1 October 2005
It's 1am and I've just finished the book. What a cracker! I've just logged on to order the 2nd one in the series. Its not Pride and Prejudice but it does offer more than the average Chick Lit. Apparently the author is a genuine Clairvoyant who wanted to portray a more truthful explanation of what clairvoyancy is and how she uses her own gift. The story is about a girl who is clairvoyant and who runs her own business. she gradually offers clues to the local police dept, one hunky man in particular, which in turn help towards the resolution of a murder mystery. Basically, it's a modern Miss Marple with a twist. Very funny in parts but with equal measure of suspense and drama, I'd definately recommend this page turner. Bring on the next one!!
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 June 2010
This delightful book absolutely surprised me by how good it is. Abby Cooper is a psychic intuitive who has come to grips with her talent and is using it as her career. After growing up with parents who didn't understand her ability it has been a relief to Abby to be able to help people find some of the answers they are searching for. I really appreciated the discipline shown by this character in not allowing her clients to rely on her foretelling of their futures to rule their lives. She limits their readings to two each year and ends her sessions by telling them that they are not bound by what she has seen, they still have complete free will and can make any decisions they chose regarding their future. That was extremely refreshing to read, obviously an author with a sense of responsibility. I have since learned that this author, Victoria Laurie, is herself a psychic.

The characters in this novel were very well portrayed and I enjoyed meeting each one of them. They appealed to me as real people would, never single dimensional, but multi layered. They weren't always good or always bad, simply written to act as regular people would act. There is a great deal of humor in this book and it is very natural, not forced or silly. I appreciated that. The romantic interest which is developing between Abby and the police detective, Dutch Rivers, is totally realistic. Once again, this author has allowed these characters to learn a little about each other over a period of time and the relationship is not always smooth and romantic.

There is, however, one glaring mistake in this book which forced me to reduce my rating from 5 stars down to 4. I am a mystery reading fanatic and I've been reading mysteries for many, many years. When an author gives me definite information regarding a crime or a crime scene I keep that information in my mind because it is extremely important. In this case information was given about a death and then later in the book it was completely changed when that death was discussed again. I kept waiting for the author to tell me that someone (or actually many someones) had made a mistake, but that information never came. I can honestly say that I have never read a mystery before where this kind of mistake was present. Someone should have caught this, probably the author, but absolutely the editor or someone on the editorial staff. But then, maybe not. I've read every single review here on Amazon and this mistake hasn't been mentioned once.

I was really impressed by the writing talents of Victoria Laurie. I thoroughly enjoyed all the characters she created and the (for me) unusual gift Abby has. I will not allow that one editorial miscue to keep me from continuing on with finding out where Abby and her "crew" go next.
on 2 June 2009
this is a good summers day going on holiday book that will also fit neatly into your handbag which i love. i found this book at university in a box free for you to take and i picked it up one day while waiting around and read the first chapter so i took up the offer of a free book. I have now went onto amazon and bought another 3 in the series. fabby book you will love it
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2011
Although this is the first Abby Cooper (I think) it was the second one I read and I really enjoyed this one too - the first I read was Better Read than Dead which made me search out another and I think now that I will look for the rest of the series. The central character is very likeable and despite the frivilous looking covers on theses books the stories are as good as any other light detective stories. If you want a mystery story that isn't full of too much violence and doesn't make you want to put your hands over your eyes you will probably enjoy this
on 2 July 2006
I loved this book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Abby is delightful, her talent amazing.(the author has the same talent, WOW!)The secondary characters were interesting - very important in a story I think. Victoria Laurie is definitly on my keeper shelf along side Earlene Fowler, Jaqueline Girdner, Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich.

I guess you can see the pattern there - all mystery stories with strong, interesting, talented heroines.
on 24 April 2012
Have read the entire series twice! This first book got me hooked and provided an excellent introduction to an unputdownable series full of mystery, humour and topped off with a love interest which develops throughout the series. It's not a difficult read so is perfect for a bit of light entertainment!
on 16 April 2006
If you like Stephanie Plum novels you'll like this too. It has good pace, good story line, predictable on the romance but still has you turning each page to ensure it reaches the right conclusion
on 1 July 2014
I have been totally sucked in by all the Abby Cooper books. I've almost missed stops on the train reading them. This is for fans of Janet Evanovitch with a touch of harry Potter. Really highly recommended. All of them.
on 27 July 2014
I wanted a detective book that wasn't too heavy but had a good plot without being very complicated and that what I got, quick pace good story line and romance I'd recommend this book, as an easy read try it!