Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2015
Superb book. Fast delivery.
on 16 March 2015
My husbands favourite book.
on 13 October 2013
It changed my perspective quite dramatically, I hope it will change yours or at least challenge some of your beliefs
on 5 October 2003
An incredible book, it fundamentally changed the way I looked at the world - and for the better. Apart from the staggeringly brilliant ideas contained within, it is an absolutely cracking good story!
This book changed my life. What higher recommendation for a piece of literature is there?
on 18 August 2015
Recommend this to anyone
on 8 November 2015
could not get into it
on 15 July 2003
The ideas in this book make so much sense. I have never read such a powerful piece of literature presented in such an interesting way. It makes you want to live your life to your full capacity and full ability. It makes you want to achieve, to create, to invent, to really really live. I read it one year ago and it really helped me personally as far as having a positive outlook and I am now re-reading it for the 2nd time.
I have the deepest respect for the ideas in this book. I can relate to them, understand them, and see how they make sense. This is true inspiration. It gives you a very good perspective on different social ideals and the possible result of their enforcement. Best of all it inspires you to examine some of your thoughts more closely. This one really makes you think.
on 6 December 2014
These issues are just as relevant today, in fact more so. The whole so-called Public Sector are looters. Taxation plucks those who produce like turkeys at Christmas.
on 9 November 2009
I really liked this book, but there were times when I hated it as well and just wanted to be done with it. Two words of warning from the beginning: Don't read the introduction until you've read the story, and be prepared to exercise all of your patience if you decide to read this. I had read all of her other fictional books before reading this, so I knew what to expect, and when you know what to expect it's extremely difficult to sit through everything you already know, even if it's good and even great. And it is great. Taste is subjective, talent is not, and if anyone can question her talent as a writer, they are not being true to themselves. I imagine that there are three different responses to Ayn Rand's books: Love, hatred and incomprehension. Even though I'm sure that the third group exists, I don't know how they can, because she explains everything so clearly that only people who are either extremely simple or consciously ignorant will not understand her. The second group would most likely constitute the majority of people if they actually read her, but of course they do not, and would never wish to. I suppose I belong to the first group, because she is one of the very few authors who have stimulated my mind and made me consider certain things in a different light. This relates to one of the biggest problems with this book, however: The people who understand and agree with her know what she means and wants within the first hundred pages, or even before that if they have read her other books; the people who don't understand her will never understand her, whether it takes 1100 pages or 11,000. I think what one needs to keep in mind while considering this is that she wrote her books for herself, first and foremost, just as any author with artistic integrity does. And there are plenty of small gems contained in what may sometimes seem like endless repetition. I must admit that I was mostly frustrated and annoyed while reading this story, not by any flaws in her writing, but by her constant and perspicuous insight into the ugliness of mankind, and by the stubborn, contradictory blindness of her heroes. I will just say here, before this review becomes too long, that this book is great and deserves five stars because it produces so many emotions, creates so many questions, and sparks so much debate - not to mention how intelligent, timeless and well-written it is. This is a book that can be discussed endlessly, and it is a book that SHOULD be discussed, because it is about everything important in life.
on 13 January 2009
Given the utterly pervasiveness of socialised thought in the UK these days, I'm supprised that most of the reviews are positive.

In this country we are heading towards becoming a "peoples state" as described in the novel. You might think this alarmist, but consider one of the central themes of the novel is a description of how a society disintigrates due to the benevolent interventation of government. Then consider that public spending in the UK is already >50% of GDP and that our democratic system is essentially making both parties maintain or grow this figure and you can see the issue. This is a digression, but this pre-amble will basically have already told you whether you will enjoy the book. If you think that government spending, particularly redistribution is a good thing then you'll likely hate this book. Also you are very wrong :) If you think that all taxation is essentially socialised robbery enforced by violence, then you'll love it.

One other point that I'll mention is that the characters are too one dimensional, particularly "the baddies". Personally I agree the good guys are almost a parody, with the exception of Dagny and the bit parts. The bad guys though in my opinion are almost a perfect reflection of real people if you tone down their self loathing. The world is filled with corporate directors that negotiate laws to build business, politicians that destroy value by forcing altruism and worse the politians that exist to steal wealth for themselves and their friends. People comment that no one is stupid enough to act this way in real life, when all around there are real life examples.

enjoy!