Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 29 April 2008
Stephen Laws' "Spectre" is so reminiscent of another British horror writer - Graham Masterton - that it's...well, spooky. It seems to me that there is a particular style that British horror authors tend to go for: that is, fast-paced plots, down-to-earth characters, and primordial monsters once banished from the world and seeking their way back in order to obtain world domination. Spectre has all of those things, and it does them all as well as Masterton ever did. Laws is a top-class writer of suspense and exciting horror, and I am really surprised that he isn't more popular. All of his books are now out-of-print, which is a shame because I have been unable to get hold of most of them.

I can't say that Laws - or this type of horror in general - is particularly scary, but what it lacks in chills it makes up for in thrills. Although I have to say, there was one quite frightening scene in this book involving a ventriloquist's dummy that brought back some childhood fears for me.

Overall, though, top-notch entertainment if you are a horror or dark fantasy fan. If you can get hold of anything by Laws - probably second-hand - I'd say he's well worth the read.
on 4 January 2003
Steven Laws is one of todays writers who deserves more recognition for his work. His writing style is fairly simple but well structured making them great to read. His vivid imagination also astounds me as well as his fantastic character build up, I believe he blows a lot of other horror writers out of the water. He has an amazing talent, and his gripping, twisted plots keep you hooked right from the first until the last page. Other books of his I would recommend are 'Chasm' 'Darkfall' and 'Somewhere south of Midnight'. Seen as we have not heard anything from him since 1998, I am hoping he is working on and nearly finished his next amazing creation.
on 6 June 2011
ive just reread this book again for the first time in years.i live literally(haha) on the doorstep on where most of the action takes place so can identify with what it was like at the time Mr.Laws wrote this story:Byker Bridge.Imperial.The Ship Inn etc but the bit that chilled me the most was the body being thrown into the Ouseburn and the reanimated tramp who rises up.ive been to that spot many a time in years gone by and ooh what a scare!!!This is a great book and an all out classic.This Ghost Train and The Wrym are my fave Law books.And hes a Geordie to boot.Other local authors of this genre i recomend are Chaz Brenchley and the superb Jonathan Aycliffe(aka Daniel Easterman)whos approach is more Blackwood/M R James.Just try Naomis Room(you wont sleep for a week).
on 8 December 2013
A very good book with a good story too and people you can really believe in ,as I come from that part of the country it made it all the more interesting.I remember all the places they mentioned and Raby Street especially, as we used to walk up there to get to Shields Road,which back then was full of all kinds of really good shops including a small supermarket,you could also walk from there to the City centre too.....
on 20 July 2013
I have read most of Stephen Laws books, The Wyrm was a great read but I found this one hard going.
Somewhere South Of Midnight was good also but this just did not grab like the others.
on 11 July 2015
Book in very good condition looking forward to reading it.
on 26 June 2016