on 21 September 2017
I'm not sure what prompted me to read this - I had read a number of the Lord Peter Wimsey books many years ago (but out of order and had never read the earliest ones). I remember how much I liked them, but I'm not sure they have lived up to my memory. I was distinctly underwhelmed by the first that Dorothy L Sayers wrote - Whose Body - but felt she was getting into her stride with this one. Even when quite young I was always conscious that DLS was writing her ideal man - her own love life was messy and unsatisfactory in many ways and she definitely fell in love with her creation. It is of course a vanished age, but I think these books are redeemed by DLS's cleverness (albeit occasionally rather self-conscious cleverness - latin quotes, complex allusions etc) and an element of humour and parody. I particularly like the feisty (to use an over deployed modern word) female characters. They are individual , flawed and often quite powerful. There are still plenty of Lady Mary Wimseys around - rich posh girls with a disastrous taste in unsuitable and indeed unpleasant men. The Dowager Duchess has a touch of the Miss Marple about her - disguising her shrewdness under a barrage of seemingly disconnected burbling.
All in all, I think they are still an enjoyable read, but you have to set aside 21st Century preconceptions and enjoy them for the period pieces they are.
on 7 August 2017
considering its age, this text is remarkably topical, fun, poignant and amusing, full of charming bits of satire, rattling along at a good pace...my favorite sayers is gaudy night, but this is close behind...good plot, great pacing, good characters, well written....recommended!
on 28 March 2015
I first read the book years ago. It was just as I remembered it, a great read by a master author of the golden age.
People alway go on about Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers seems to be forgotten.
If you love Christie, give Sayers a try, and your being doing yourself a favour.
She spins some twisting and turning plots that keep you guessing.
Would totally recommend.
on 7 September 2017
The trouble with the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery crime thrillers is there's far TOO MUCH irrelevant banter in them, ive read the first two & I shan't get any more - Agatha Christie is far better...
on 22 March 2017
How I enjoyed reading this book the only sadness I have finished it if you read my review just read the book
on 19 August 2017
Very good read. Another to keep to read again in the future.
on 7 March 2017
Old favourite,simply the best in my opinion.
on 8 September 2017