on 29 October 2017
I read all of the Dorothy L Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey (clever choice of name) decades ago and enjoyed them immensely. One that particularly 'rang a bell' in the intervening years is 'The Nine Tailors'. You don't have to be a campanologist to enjoy this twisting and turning whodunit but you will come out at the end with a bit of knowledge about bell-ringing! One of the delicious things is that we know 'who' killed the villain way before Peter Wimsey who only works it out a few pages before the finish - which gives one (you end up talking in your head like that, don't you know) a lovely feeling of cleverness. It's interesting to note that some of the plot twists in 'Nine Tailors' and one in particular, turn up again and again in modern 'cop shows', especially American ones. No acknowledgement to Dorothy L Sayers, of course. There is one thing that bothers me slightly concerning this digital version though. As digital versions have to be transposed manually from the text version to a digital form such as Mobi or AZW or whatever I think that mistakes are sometimes made. Bits are missed out here and there, bits get confused there and here. I think that there are a couple, at least, of such confusements in this digital version - but it doesn't really spoil the overall fun. Put your fingers in your ears to keep out the noise, and have a jolly good read, old bean!
on 21 May 2017
I read this some weeks ago now, and had some difficulties getting into it at first because I couldn't figure out where it was going when it kept going back into the detective's childhood. What on earth had all this to do with the murder he'd been sent to the island to investigate? Of course you soon realize it's all interwoven when the past catches up with the present, and vice versa. I loved it.
on 27 September 2017
I first read this in the 1980's and loved it, the story is set on the Lincolnshire fens and centres on the wonderful bells of a fictional church, in the equally fictional village of Fenchurch St Paul, DLS makes the place come alive, so much that I feel sad to think that there are no bells called Batty Thomas, Tailor Paul and all the others, there are eight of them so a full peal... I love listening to the bells of our local church, but I still haven't a clue what they are ringing. I reread this book last week and throughly enjoyed it, even though I clearly remember who dunnit 😊
on 6 November 2017
Take Lord Peter Wimsey ,an old crime ,a family feud,a broken down Mrs Merdle and the inimitable Buttermere, mix together with a priest of the Anglican church and his sensible wife ,world war one history,France and village life plus nine church bells and you have one of the most gripping of Dorothy Sayers mysteries. The story is a delight and totally riveting from start to its triumphant finish.
on 30 August 2017
I knew nothing about bell ringing and on the assumption that the information in the book is based on fact I have learnt quite a bit. It is a well thought out tale of village life centred around the parish church with plenty of food for thought on 'who done it' and clever twists and turns. Wimsey is such a great character, full of fun and kindness. Very well written.
on 5 January 2017
great novel....i really like it...well written, good settings, great characters...
on 3 March 2017
This is one of my favourite Lord Peter Whimsey tales. Very good plot, well acted by Ian Carmichael and supporting cast. Have already listened to it twice and look forward to hearing it many more times. The price was very reasonable. Arrived in good order and very promptly. Thank you for another addition to my collection..
on 13 November 2017
Another brilliant murder mystery from Dorothy L. Sayers. I am completely hooked on Lord Peter Wimsey books.
The writing is excellent and the plot is complicated,keeping you guessing until very near the end.
A very entertaining read.
on 25 May 2017
The first time I read this, the denouement was shocking, breathtaking. On subsequent reads you find more and more subtlety, more and more careful characterisation. After this I read every Dorothy L Sayers I could find. Don't miss this book.
on 9 March 2017
Apparently she had great difficulty in getting her mind round the incidentals of bell ringing in the English style. Always interesting to have a murder story with no murder.