on 20 October 2003
I first read this book a few years ago and was so gripped by the story that I read it in two days. It is a shocking testament to the way the medical profession can get things so wrong and ultimately lay the foundations for years and years of heartbreak a parent may then have to suffer as a result. Clearly descriptive of a loving family who wanted to do all they could to help their troubled daughter make life better. I have read Sex Pistol books that refer to Nancy Spungeon as 'Nauseating Nancy'. It makes me sad that these human beings who coined that label clearly didn't know the extent of Nancy's troubled life, how much her family loved her and how hurtful it must have been to have heard your duaghter referred to as 'Nauseating Nancy'. I would recommend anyone who has even the slightest interest in human life and basic human decency to read this book. It was a very poignant book.
on 8 July 2005
I first read this book aged 15. I re-read it uncountable times. I lost my copy in a house move and have been searching for a replacement copy. Have ordered one and can't wait to get my mits on it! This is not a book I would have immediately chosen, however I read it on recommendation and was captivated by it in an instant. Amazing writing style, emotive, raw, and addictive. I would recommend this book without a moments hesitation. Nancy's mother is able to convey every image and every feeling with such depth that you feel the pain and confusion of both Nancy and her mother. She is wearing her heart on her sleeve.
on 16 October 2004
Nancy Spungen, a troubled child from birth, meets Sid Vicious of the infamous British band, The Sex Pistols... we all know the story, but what we don't know is what happened before and in between the time she came to England to "Bed a Sex Pistol". This book explains the absolute torment her parents endured for 20 years, Nancy's hold and influence on her family almost tearing them apart. Well written and well documented, this book is an absolute must for all you Sex Pistols fans and anyone who's interested in psychology or even just a good autobiography.
on 1 January 2005
I devoured this book in one evening - it really was compulsive reading. I did come away with a far better perception of Nancy despite the hell she put her parents through - I no longer thought she was the person portrayed in many other books on punk I have read. The one thing that did perplex me is why did Mrs Spungen refer to John Lydon and John Lyman? In fact I found the few paragraph's which did refer to the English punk scene not particularly well researched however the book isn't supposed to be about punk so it doesn' really matter. This is such a painful book I really recommend it to anybody who is at all interested in the workings of a human being.
on 15 March 2002
I read this book when it first came out and my copy is so dog eared after many times of reading i was looking for a new copy!! This is the most honest book about Nancy ever and the suffering her mother goes through is unbelieveable. Thankyou for opening up to the world your personal suffering and for giving us an insight into Nancy.
on 12 April 1999
I have a four year old daughter that too was born with lack of oxygen. And now as I read this book I feel like someone is writing about my daughter. The things she does are the same as what Nancy did. Her fits and her temper just everything all relates to my life and my little girl.The doctors tell me she is normal!But I know they are wrong because no mother should have to lock herself in the bathroom just to get away from her four year old. Nore should any mother have to go to bed at night crying because her little girl hates her! And no matter what mommy says or does my baby still hates me.But they say she is nomal! She's not, but knowone can help me they say she's just bad.I know my baby best and she doesn't want to be this way something just snaps in her head.I'm afraid for her cause the doctors just want to fill her full of medication. But I won't allow her to take anything.Drugs are just not the answer to her problem. I cry for help but everyone just sluffs us off. I just pray that someday she will be ok! And her life will not turn out like Nancy's did. Hopefully someday soon someone will here my cry for help to deal with these disturbed children. Before society rules them out to be worthless kids with poor attitudes. sencerly, T. Matthews
on 11 November 1998
I've read this book probably 10 times since I bought it. I originally bought it because Sid and Nancy have always fascinated me. After reading the book, though, I realized that they were both radically different than what the media portrayed them to be. Nancy was a very disturbed person who was always looking for anything that would dull her constant pain. She wasn't just a junkie or a slut. She reached for drugs and sex because they would ease her pain, if only for a little while. Deborah Spungen did an excellent job of showing us that Nancy was a person, and she had many good traits and qualities, and she also suffered just like anyone else. The media was so quick to label her, without giving any thought as to why she acted the way she did. They made fun of her, and they said she was a bad, worthless person. And Deborah Spungen shows us that that just wasn't true. This is truly one of the best books ever written, in my opinion.
on 28 May 1999
I'm surprised to see so many recent reviews of this book - I first read it about 10 years ago and loaned it to a friend. She never returned it and I have never been able to replace it as it is extremely difficult to find. Some people in the reviews below are saying Nancy's condition was a result of her mother's treatment. I believe, having read this book so many times, something must be done to change these views - doctors can't go on for ever saying a child is normal when it obviously isn't. Deborah has highlighted in a very moving and emotional book the plight of many families trying to cope with their "normal" children. Sid & Nancy were both very misunderstood individuals who found solace with each other and one understood the other. Read this book, please - and keep a box of tissues nearby as I guarantee you will be crying from about halfway through right to the end.
on 30 August 1999
I have read this book several times and really feel Mrs. Spungen's pain. Some of her detractors that have posted their reviews obviously arent parents. Most of us should be grateful that we dont have to endure the pain of watching a beloved child deteriorate and destroy themselves. Nancy was not a normal child and, unfortunately,she grew up in a primitive medical society. No one could help her or her family. The book is an extremely good read. Deborah had such a good point when she commented about how the media DEMANDED that she help boost their ratings and sell newspapers when they stuck a microphone in her face after her daughter's death. Something to think about. And, for the person who posted that Deborah never provided Nancy with a're wrong. The family did. There definately needs to be more help offered to disturbed children, so that they dont just end up a statistic of self-destruction. Good job, Deborah. I hope you have found your peace.
on 13 November 2007
I bought this book out of curiosity: I was 10 when the Sex Pistols were at their height, a little bit too young to be part of "the blank generation", but the whole punk scene fascinated me for years. I am now a mother of two wonderful kids, so reading this book for me has a special poignancy which I think only a parent can relate to. In a way, it reminded me of what I put my own mother through,as I was a rebellious, difficult person for many years, being as shocking as I could be and getting caught up in too many bad scenes. I am now clean and sober and have been for manyy years, and now I can see the grief that a child can cause its parents, and I also now understand the unconditional absolute love a parent has for a child. Deborah Spungen writes in such an incredible way; this is raw emotion, but never once do I feel she is portraying herself as a "poor little me". Quite the opposite, she shows her strengths in this book, bending over backwards to try and help her child, her every waking moment consumed by the search for answers to Nancy's negative and incredibly damaging behaviour. As a parent, I hope I never have to suffer the unbearable grief this lady has suffered, watching her firstborn special child selfdestruct before her eyes, and feeling so helpless and unable to stop the destruction. Heartbreakingly sad, I am not ashamed to admit I wept freely often while reading this excellent book. This is the real deal, the truth about the disturbed, misunderstood, loose cannon who was Nancy. Accept no imitation. My heart goes out to Deborah Spungen and her family.