Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 22 April 2017
Just love this series of stories.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 January 2012
The biggest thing on newlywed Mrs. Pollifax's mind is making sure the contractor installs the bay window in her new home slightly off center. But then Bishop from the CIA pulls into the driveway and her whole world changes again. Seems that a young man she helped smuggle out of China a year ago is working at a shop in Hong Kong where another CIA agent has been placed, but that agent's reports have grown useless. Carstairs, Bishop's boss, wants Mrs. Pollifax to make contact and figure out what exactly is happening.

But as is always the case with Mrs. Pollifax, things soon spiral out of control, and it starts when she runs into an old friend from a previous assignment. Then the man she met on the plane stumbles into her room with a wound on his head. Slowly, she suspects that her assignment is leading to something much bigger. But just what is it?

It had been so long since I read this book that I'd forgotten much beyond the basics, so I was pulled along for the ride just like it was new. And what fun it was filled with the usual mix of coincidence and deductive reasoning to reach the astonishing conclusion. The characters are charming like always as well.

However, I was disappointed by the climax. Despite attempts to explain things, it felt like the author wasn't sure how to resolve things. It worked, but not seemed improbable, even for a Mrs. Pollifax book. There's also the fact that it was dark, although not as dark as the next book in the series.

Still, I do recommend this book. It's mostly fun although not quite as enjoyable as early books in the series.
on 10 March 1998
Mrs. Pollifax has done it again! This story was wonderfully suspenseful! I did feel sorry for Cyrus, though, I mean coming to Hong Kong thinking his wife is perfectly safe and finds she's been kidnapped by terrorists! I'm glad everything turned out OK. There's one more thing I want to say; these books were reccommended to me by a nice elderly woman at Media Play and I just want to say, where ever you are, thanks.