Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2006
I have these two little daughters called H*** and M***. They are small and very funny. Like Lola, they absolutely must do colouring-in now.

I gave them each one of these excellent books when we went on holiday this summer and they were kept occupied for a full two weeks! There is plenty of opportunity for colouring in, but more importantly it stretches the imagination by getting them to complete the pictures ("What is Charlie standing on?" "What are they looking at out of the window?"), to draw on facial expressions, and to use collage.

I loved this book so much, we gave it as going home presents at my oldest daughter's 6th birthday party, so now the whole class is doing it too.

Strangely, Amazon is still advertising it at £3.99 which might strike you as steep for a book with no stickers, flaps or any other gimmicks. The printed price on the book is in fact £2.99 so beware if purchasing through Amazon.
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2006
This colouring book is not just about colouring, your child is invited to decide, for example, 'what is in the cupboard?' by drawing their own 'monster' or whatever else their imagination dreams up! On each page they are invited to add theirown bit by the questions asked and the inviting blank sections left for them to fill in My 3 1/2 year old daughter adored the double spread of blank faces which she could draw features on herself and the section on invisible friends where she was asked to draw hers! Highly recommended!
on 7 September 2006
My daughter, 6, has always found colouring books too restrictive. She much prefers to draw on a blank piece of paper! (I can't help agreeing - it's a pity children are encouraged to 'colour in' so much, both at school and in 'colouring competitions'. Where's the creativity in that?) However, she loves Charlie and Lola and really enjoyed this 'colouring book' too. From designing Lola's dress to inventing monsters, the book gives lots of ideas, some traditional colouring, guided drawing (ie. the monster has lots of arms, what's he eating etc.), but leaves plenty of freedom for imagination and you are encouraged to add collage bits too. We found it brilliant for a wet camping trip! (Just don't forget the glue...)
on 23 March 2007
I was 'almost' put off this book by the first review as my 5 year old daughter is a 'girly girl' who loves pink and sparkly and unicorns too. I am so glad I went with the other reviews. This is the best activity/colouring book we have had...and trust me we have been through a lot! Yes we needed to help her with reading some of the ideas/instructions for a page, but once we did we were amazed at what she could come up with using her own imagination. There is also tons to colour so when she wanted something a bit more straightforward she would happily get her crayons and be absored for ages. I cannot recomend this enough...and now evn cheaper...buy it!!
on 5 December 2014
Bought as a christmas gift for my 2yr old niece aling with another charlie and lola book, I didnt actually realise that it came in black and white for children to colour in, nice little suprise to find aswel as a cute story, very impressed
on 24 September 2011
got this for my nearly 3yr old little girl who loves colouring and charlie and lola, as haven't seen a charlie and lola colouring book before. i think she's a bit young for it the activities of drawing things inside she doesn't understand but she does love colouring in the pictures!
on 5 January 2013
I gave this book to my 5 year old daughter for Christmas and she finished the whole book in one day. It's not just a simple colouring in book, you have to use your imagination as well. Highly recommended!
on 15 April 2010
I ordered this for my daughter's 6th birthday. It is a brilliant colouring book, and not just a colouring book but each page has direction that you can follow e.g. 'What's that on the end of Lotta's lead?' You can then draw what you want on the end of the lead. Great for encouraging your child to use their imagination. You can use pen, crayon or paint. My daughter loves it.
on 23 July 2009
I Absolutely Must Do Colouring Now!

Kids (aged 5) loved the book as with all of the Charlie and Lola books but I did feel that the price was a little high.
on 11 October 2015
Couldnt have imagined a better book! Its so clever how it invites young children to really use their imagination! If your thinking of buying this then do not hesitate, buy it!!!