Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2008
This book was recommended by a close-friend with a similar taste in books & must say, even though it didn't massively appeal to me, I am very glad he did.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Billy Crystal - I've enjoyed his performances in the handful of movies I've watched of his & although find him to be a likable guy, I would never have usually read any acccount of his life. It subsequently came as a pleasant surprise to thoroughly enjoy this story of his early years with his father.

The book is quite simply a tale of Billy's childhood years up until his father passed away when he was a boy, hence the touching & clever title, 700 Sundays - the number of Sunday's spent with his beloved father. The book contains larger-than-life personalities (some very famous), hilarious anecdotes & stories ranging from everyday life to Billy's first steps to becoming a world famous comedian.

The relatively short length of the book ensures that every page is a delight to read and I'd recommend this to anyone that enjoys a good laugh or cry or anything of an auto-biographical nature.
on 8 January 2016
Not as good as his autobiography - but I bought it after seeing the stage show.Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? "Still Foolin' Em" made me laugh so much, I had to put the book down and come back to it - especially the first part about ageing. This wasn't as good but I'm still giving it 4 stars.
on 24 August 2013
This isn't a very long book, but in general is very up beat, and light. The last chapter or so is very sad, but real. I can't see why one reviewer said it had nothing to do with the relationship with his Father. It's everything about his relationship with his Father. He basically credits his Father for making him who he is today. The only reason I dropped a star is because I would of liked it to of been longer. It would make a good holiday book.
on 28 October 2012
I'm quite a fan of autobiographies and memoirs, from famous people or otherwise, and I particularly like when the authors try to do something different. Billy Crystal made a point to write about the Sundays he spent with his father, the one day a week where he didn't have to work, which made this an entertaining and quick read. As his father died when he was in his mid-teens, it very much focused on Billy's childhood and his first forays into entertainment. The book was full of memorable characters and had plenty of moments of both laughter and sadness.

This book was a joy to read and being a Billy Crystal fan is not necessary to enjoy it (I personally only really know him from Monsters Inc and The Princess Bride). Recommended.
on 11 February 2016
Quick book to read a wee bit boring with regard initially to the uncles' record promotions but after this the actual book is an absolute gem full of funny quotes touching memories and very funny one line jokes which you can imagine delivery by from Billy Crystal himself. The final couple of chapters are very touching.
I wish other biographies were as concise entertaining and readable as this.
on 1 January 2015
Very well told. A family that did a lot for jazz.
on 7 March 2013
A very disappointing book. Apart from two jokes it had very little to do with Crystal's relationship with his father and it has more to do with name dropping.