Trying mix the positive thinking of Robert Schuller, and the faith movement theology of Paul Yonggi Cho and Kenneth Copeland, Osteen has taken the stadium seminar circuit to a new level. Augmented now by this book, "Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential" he pushes the find the god/champion within yourself.
People who are down on their luck, or discouraged with life will find Osteen a good read.
"Getting your mind off of yourself," with the goal of self-fulfillment should appeal also to readers of Wayne W. Dyer and other authors looking to reach those who feel disenfranchised.
Osteen's rambling, choppy speaking style comes through, written like he's campaigning for office. Reading like a seminar set to print, it sums as quickly as reading through its self-determinist table of contents:
1. Enlarge your vision
2. Develop a healthy self-image
3. Discover the power of your thoughts and words
4. Let go of the past
5. Find strength through adversity
6. Live to give
7. Choose to be happy
The steps sound innocuous, and, outside of their religious context, are. Within their religious context, evangelicals and charismatics will likely find offense at Osteen's assertions about controlling your own destiny as opposed to letting God control it.
Aim a little higher, and check out Rick Warren's "The Purpose-Driven Life."
Anthony Trendl
on 11 October 2005
Pastor Joel Osteen has written a fabulous, encouraging, Bible-based book which should help and support all Christians and probably non-Christians as well.
The theme is how to enjoy your life and excel no matter what your circumstances may be. The ideas are illustrated by stories from the author`s own experience and those of his family and people with whom he has worked; supported by Bible quotations and helpful explanations on how act on the principles.
Many people are depressed by events in their lives, and there has been a fashion for the cognitive approach to treating depression by therapists. Pastor Joel, while noting that sad feelings usually result from sad thoughts, takes this one step further, reminding us that negativity and misery are not to be
accepted in the Christian life, quoting, for example, St Paul-
"we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"(NIV translation, my own copy). The biblical approach is extremely powerful, and it is interesting to see by how much the New Testament preaching predates today`s fashionable ideas.
Pastor Joel does acknowledge also that depressive illness is not as simple as just "depressed" feelings.
I appreciate the book very much.It has inspired me to go deeper into the Bible verses quoted. It should encourage readers to study the Bible.
Pastor Joel`s book is excellent and I recommend it very highly.
on 17 September 2015
Have read quite a lot of Joel Osteen books and would always recommend to others. His books are very uplifting and very easy to read. Your Best Life Now is no exception and helps the reader to understand how important it is to live his/her life the best and most fulfilling and rewarding ways possible. I thing it is a must read, very interesting.
If you're a Christian, you'll be delighted to find a book on how to live your life in constructive ways that's supported by the Bible, telling examples and positive energy. If you happen to enjoy Pastor Osteen's on-line broadcasts of services from Lakewood, you'll recognize many of the stories and examples. I could almost hear his voice as I read the inspirational words.

If you are not a Christian, you may find this faith-based approach to living life to be challenging to your beliefs. Perhaps that challenge will be a rewarding one for you.

To me, the book has tremendous ring of authority as Pastor Osteen recounts examples from his own family where faith and positive thinking made a difference such as his mother's recovery from liver cancer, his sister's regaining her health and overcoming the setback of a failed marriage, and his own doubts has he unexpectedly tried to fill the large shoes his very successful father left for him.

The seven lessons won't surprise too many people, but the positive way that they are expressed can uplift you. One of the reasons that I enjoy watching Pastor Osteen's services is that God's grace just seems to glow from his body as he tells you that God wants you to be a victor, not a victim.

Here are the seven lessons:

1. Enlarge your vision (what you focus on is what you get)

2. Develop a healthy self image (believe you can do it!)

3. Discover the power of your thoughts and words (your thoughts and words can pave the way to real changes around you)

4. Let go of the past (focus on what you want)

5. Find strength through adversity (trust God to get you there in His own good time)

6. Give! (giving opens up the doors of receiving)

7. Choose to be happy (enthusiasm for opportunity helps create fine results)

Many people feel that Christians need to be focused on avoiding sin and repenting. Yes, those are good things to do. But they can tie you too much to your past. Once God has forgiven you, He wants you to move forward. It's important to remember that point.

Will reading this book change your life? Yes and no. If you follow the book's precepts for a year, yes it will. If you read the book, put it down and do nothing different . . . no.

Read this book, apply it, pray for God's guidance to help you, and be the person God wants you to be!

May God bless you.
on 17 March 2013
Great book, great author, easy to read and I will continue to read his work forever, love it. If you have listened to his sermons then you will recognise a lot of his sermons in his books. Looking forward to reading his other books
on 8 July 2014
His books are just like his sermons- amazing. Many of the messages in the book were reminiscent of messages he has preached about, but nonetheless the messages are amazing and really do help you to feel positive about your current situation and your future. Joel really has a gift.
on 27 October 2013
If you did what the book says, you really would find that your life changed. Don't mistake Pastor Osteen's easy to hear, easy to read delivery for superficiality. What he does is point to foundational truth - giving the Scripture references in the bibliography. This is a lovely, life affirming book, and God honouring, too.
on 19 May 2013
I admit to being very down in the dumps before I read this book. I was desperate to find a way out of my slump and I didn't know how till I read this book. The first night l read it I was determined that things would change. I went to work with a positive attitude determined to enjoy that day instead of looking to Friday to come. When l was at work l noticed the difference the job was no longer a burden ,the day did not seem to drag by. I have determined through this book that no matter what I am going to live my best life now. Thank u Joel.
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2007
This is Pastor Joel Osteen's first book; Mr Osteen is the Pastor of America's largest growing church, Lakewood in Houston, Tx.

This book takes us through a program of seven life changing processes to improve the darkest thoughts, the negative approaches, and basically fills you with a respect for life.

No matter your troubles you will always see a positive ending, remember life was not meant to be a party and one with no troubles, but it's having a positive approach that makes all the difference. There is no doubt in my mind we make our own luck in this world. What I mean by that is, if you expect the worst and negative things to happen they will, if you expect to be triumphant throughout life then no matter what you are faced with, things happen for a reason and you will win through in the end.

Change your mindset and read this book, this book is better than any self-help manual out there.

Now, there are some misery guts still living in the 18th century who will tell you "this is not God's will", well God's will is to enjoy life and be rich and fulfilling in all you do, that doesn't mean necessarily an accumulation of wealth, what it means is enjoy your life no matter what you do.

Some of Pastor Osteen's approaches do go a little OTT, I mean he thinks we should probably be smiling all day everyday, holding our bibles, skipping down the street singing "everything is beautiful in its own way", of course real life is not like that. Real life knows how to approach your difficulties and practical ways of problem solving. Joel Osteen provides a means to do just that.

It's the only self-help manual you will need, and read several times.
on 3 September 2014
This is a very inspiring book which I still have not read from cover to cover. I look for the chapter which applies to my situation, read it and try to do what it says. This is a book for all times. You can read it for leisure, for those times when you need answers or a calming mood for those off days. I call it my special book and I bought it for my husband and my friends because I want them to understand what I meanwwhen I tell them that this book is more than just a book to me.