on 17 February 2016
If you live in the uk don't bother buying this book as you can't purchase the drug. Basically the protocol suggested means you have to take a drug called Guaifenesin. I can't find how to purchase this drug as it doesn't seem to be available in th UK. I showed this book to my doctor and she hadn't heard of it either. So unfortunately I have wasted my time and money buying this book!
33 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 January 2013
I've suffered fibro for at least 12 years, taking a major turn for the worst in 2009, finally becoming bed ridden, living back at parents!!! (In 2006 I was instructing climbing and a sports massage therapist!! so NO I'm NOT lazy and NO it wasn't all in my head) which is what many uneducated, ignorant Dr's believe. I was suicidal, as a last resort I read this book and decided what have I got to loose!!! I followed the protocol TO THE LETTER (V important, joined the UK Support group (V helpful lovely people), it's not an easy protocol but the results are astounding. Today Jan 1012 I went swimming, swam 25 lengths! yesterday me and a friend took dogs out (4 of them!!) and went for a 2.5 mile walk and for coffee after!!! pre guai I could not get down the stairs!! my mum had to wash my hair for me!! I've been on it 15 mths now. There are MANY sceptics to the protocol, but to them I say 'up yours' it works!!! i'm getting my life back.
22 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 June 2016
The detailed explanations of Fybro is excellent.

But the treatment protocol is a brick wall

1 the medication is only available in most countries as a cough medicine in liquids which doresnt provide high enough dosage and is expensive. you would need bottles and bottles plus consuming other rubbsh in that mix.

2 you need to stop using so msny essential personal eblutions and home products as to make it almost impossible to have a normal life

3 all this and their is not yet proven science or results to prove it works

overall buy the book for its detail on everything about Fybro but dont expect to get very far with this suggested treatments you may need to continue with recommended protocols ofpainkillers nerve meds antideppresants sleep physio exercise and diet and mindfulness or cbt tools
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 October 2017
I'm not sure I believe it. There is not sufficient scientific evidence and this is a massive life style change for something that may or may not work.
In fact the science says that the kidneys would have to work at less than 50% capacity to have reduced phosphate excretion and there are major questions about salicylates blocking the process (like it doesn't) and this is his reason for the protocol failing double blind testing.
I don't doubt that Dr Amand has had some success with his protocol but he doesn't really know why. It is a massive effort and cost to do without understanding the causes of each of our chronic fatigue/fibro set of symptoms because there can be many. This might be a low risk but high effort protocol worth trying for some, but having been ill for over twenty years and then reading I would feel worse initially, then have slow improvement for 3 months for every year I'd been ill before I get better, I just thought I can't cope with 5 years of this. I am waiting for science to find the cause of CFS and am hopeful we are on the cusp. In the meantime I find myofascial release has reduced over 90% of my brain fog, improved my energy levels to near normal and significantly reduced pain and this is better success than many of the testimonials I have read. I also stick to a low carb diet and managing sugar levels also works wonders and funnily enough this is also part of his protocol so one wonders if its the guaifenesin or the low carb diet that has the most positive impact here.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has been cured and I could be wrong and he could be right (even though he doesn't know why) hence the three stars. 3 stars for a book about a treatment with no medical evidence - it might help it might not. Try it if you're desperate enough.
on 6 January 2013
I originally bought a previous version of the book but have now updated to this one - this is the one you need to buy and read carefully before doing the Guaifenesin Protocol.

When first reading it I had several light bulb moments, for example it explained that a whole lot of symptoms that I didn't think were related, were also part of the Fibromyalgia Syndrome. So after having spent many, many years trying things and ending up down a blind alley, I decided to give it a go.

Although it is not scientifically proven, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from people who have reversed their symptoms and got their lives back. It is based on Dr Paul St Amand's (an American endocrinologist) theory that, due to a probable genetic defect, people with Fibromyalgia cannot metabolise phosphates properly, leading to build up in the body's cells, causing a wide spectrum of symptoms and disability.

Guaifenesin can reverse this process. For some people this happens quite quickly, but if you've been ill for 20+ years, as I have, then it's a much slower process, so don't expect any instant miracles. It's quite hard work to follow and requires commitment - it's described as 'not for the faint-hearted'! I've been following it for 2 years now and feel that I am starting to make slow but steady progress, enough to make me think this is worth persevering with.
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 April 2016
finally some answers!Im so glad I bought this revised version of the book,i've always known from the severe fatigue tht something energy wise wasnt working right, but not the why's and hows,when you read this book if you decide to do the protocol and diet then there are a few changes you have to make beforehand.I love tea so im not sure how id give that up,im quite happy to spend a little more on health and beauty products adjust my diet, my only problem is I cant find the over the counter med in anything but fast acting form in the uk, and i'm really really disapointed to see amazon doesnt seem to stock it anywhere on it;s site ,considering its an over the counter product, maybe amazon can explain why it doesnt stock it ?
II would recommend anyone struggling with fibro to read this book and realise that if like me after 20 yrs your starting to think like most dr's ( its just a name for a syndrome we just throw at people when we dont know whats really wrong) then this really is the book that will have you realising, like any syndrome its what it says it is with varying degree's of symptoms and not just some throw away name for we dont know.what.I would like to reclaim my life back and maybe just maybe when I find gauifenisen this will be the start.I wish i;d bought this book yrs ago..
on 20 September 2014
Just reading the first few chapters lifted my confidence. Then the next couple of chapters inspired me, and gave me hope. Now in three days time, I'm starting on a new course of treatment which has a high chance of 'curing' me. My new confidence and the information from this book has enabled me to talk to my GP on a new level, and she is now alongside me, providing the support which should bring me back into a normal life. She admitted to knowing about this, as did the nurse practitioner who will be giving practical support, but couldn't recommend the protocol or guai to me, because it is not licensed or approved by the medical profession, etc., in the UK.
on 9 October 2006
3 years ago I was doomed for medical retirement, having had Fibromyalgia for over 12 years I was in constant excrucaiting pain and couldn't sit at a keyboard for 5 mins without tears streaming down my face. I had been seriously contemplating suicide for 3 years, I rarely left the house and when I did I suffered big time.

Dr. St. Amand has given me my life back through this book and I can't even begin to thank him enough, although I still have a few years to go before being completely symptom free even my GP has been amazed at my progress, the pain levels at this point in time have halved, I no longer spend entire nights literally screaming in pain (those used to be at least twice weekly) and a lot of my other symptoms are either significantly reduced or gone altogether.

My son, who inherited Fibromyalgia from me and by the age of 8 was unable to attend school because he was so bad (he was crying his eyes out 10+ hours a day along with terrible panic attacks, dizziness, depression and pain), was back in school within 6 weeks and completely symptom free after 12 months by following the same treatment (it was considerably quicker for him because he hadn't had it anywhere near as long as I have).

I can't recommend this book highly enough, Fibromyalgia can become a horrendous illness for long-term sufferers because it gets progressively worse over time, and it's still seriously misunderstood in the UK. If you've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, ME or Chronic Fatigue don't think twice, just buy the book, you won't regret it !

What's more, there's a fantastic free online support group in the UK at "[...]" (and there's one in the US too) to help people get up and running with the reversal process which has proven to be invaluable in the early days to seek out and eliminate products that will stop the treatment from working. If you need further convincing check out the testimonials on the website I've listed above.
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 January 2001
This is a great book that I recommend all people who have fibromyalgia should take a look at. People with fms tend to get sceptical about miracle drugs (myself included) but this book will give you the information and courage to give guaifenesin a try. Dr St Amand's writing style is easy to understand and is accompanied with quotes from people who have followed the protocol. The appendix has a more technical explanation of the theory behind the guaifenesin protocol which satisfies a desire for a more in-depth understanding. Particularly interesting is the description of how Dr St Amand came to discover the amazing properties of guai. Get a copy of this book and I promise you won't be disappointed.
on 6 January 2013
I read this book and began the protocol 5 months ago. Within 4 weeks I was functioning like a normal human being again.
Now I am making up for the 5 years of my life that were taken away from me by M.E.
Never thought I would recover from such chronic pain and crushing exhaustion.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse