on 7 July 1999
I was given this book by a friend who had just graduated from Albany Law when I admitted my own interest in attending law school. He told me to read it, and that although Turow attended Harvard that all law schools possess types of peculiarities not all that different from those spoken of by Turow. Upon the completion of the book, I was better able to gauge my own "enemy" and realize that while my fears were warrented, they were also surmountable. I now look to law school not as a challenge in mastering the law, but as a lesson in challenging myself.
on 28 May 1999
In one L, Scott Turow not only vividly describes the the overwhelming demands expected of first year law students, he also addresses the presence of the "human element" in law school. As I head to law school this fall, I have been worried that I will abandon my values and principles and become just another bad lawyer joke. As Turow battles his own demons and overcomes his "enemy," he encourages others to examine the human element inherent not only in their law school curriculum, but in every aspect of their lives.
on 13 May 1999
I purposely didn't read this book or others like it before my first year of law school so that I could form my own opinions. Now, a week after I finished my One-L exams, I pick up this book. It has driven me to tears several times as it describes my tumultuous emotions and those of the (few) friends I have made to a "T". I plan to give it to all my friends and family so that they can more accurately understand what I haven't told them about this past year.
on 25 June 1999
"ONE L" offers numerous insights into law school paradigms that seem all to foreboding and foreshadowing, as I plan to eventually enter law school. Painfully honest, and full of sincere introspection, "ONE L" is unquestionably capitivating and entertaining. Although it has instilled me with a bit more respect, if not outright fear, of what my future educational experience may hold, it was simultaneously entertaining and somehow encouraging.
on 13 November 1997
I read this book for the first time during my first year of law school. Some of my friends warned me not to read it because they thought it might cause me to pack my things and leave quickly. Fortunately it did not cause me to flee, and I am now in my second year. I liked the personal accounts of the classes, group sessions, and egos that he confronted at the law school. I noticed many similarities in our experiences, but every time I became a little discouraged about my situation, I looked at that book perched on my shelf and thought, "well, it could always be worse." I liked being able to relate to the good, bad, and unique occurrences that can only be found in a law school. I would recommend this book to anyone who has survived law school or is enduring law school now. I would also recommend it to anyone who is a friend, parent, or relative of a person who is attending law school, so that they can have some understanding of what we go through.
on 20 May 1999
I thought that One L was a great book, but I am very interested in law and am seriously considering law school. A person who wasn't as interested in the law as I am may not find the book so interesting or informative, although they would probably still find it enjoyable. Turow is a great writer and the book reads easily regardless of the subject. One question: Are you practicing law, Scott, and if so, what type?
on 20 March 1999
I have heard about this book from talking to friends about mystery writers. Scott Turow's name came up, and a mention of an auto-bio story about his first year at Harvard Law Scool. It has been a while since I read non-fiction, so I picked it up. All I can say is that this is one truely great book. You will get hooked from the first page to the last page. I only wish Scott Turow could write more about his other two years at HLS. I have an interest in law ever since I took a law course at Suffolk University in Boston. I have also thought about attending law school. After reading this book, I know that law school will be challenging, yet fullfilling. Scott Turow does not hold anything back about what happens at HLS. It is all about succeeding and working very hard. I recommend this book to anyone who is thinking or will be attending any law school.
on 30 December 1998
One-L is so true its scary. I read Turrow's non-fiction account of his first year at Harvard Law School after I completed my own first year experience at University of Maryland Law. Although Harvard may seem a step above, it seems that Turrow's experiences are universal. This book so accurately describes the feelings of anxiety, tension, panic, fear, and ultimate exiliration which accompany all "One-L's" across the country. This book made me realize that my classmates were just as uncomfortable as I was throughout my first year. A must read for all who have completed their first year. However, for those of you who have not yet endured the first year of law school, you might be scared off from Grad school as I probably would have been.
on 23 August 1998
I was recommended this book as 'background' reading for a recent visit to Boston. I didn't start reading it 'til I returned and I didn't miss much. The autobiographical nature of the narrative revolved around his own first year at the Law School. He avoided almost any references to Boston (or Cambridge) and to his family - especially his wife. He showed his aptitude to prose. This was interesting as it was written contemperaneously ie many years before "Presumed Innocent". Summary - essential reading for students considering law school anywhere
on 31 January 1999
Amazing and vivid description of one man's turbulent lifestyle at Harvard Law School. The 269 page book was hard to put down once you delved into Turow's world. As a college bound high school senior and prospective law school student, I now have a better glimpse of "law life." Competition, envy, jealousy and the occasional back stab all make better the reality of a law student's life. Any who wishes to add a new perspective for the life of a lawyer should keep this as a "MUST READ!" Harvard Bound!!