on 8 August 1999
The Inhabited Woman is a thought-provoking book that takes you on an adventure you won't want to end. Lavinia is a Nicaraguan architect "inhabited" by the spirit of Itza, an indigenous warrior killed centuries ago while fighting for her country. With Itza in her blood, Lavinia finds herself torn between her "normal" upper-class existence and her sense of social responsibility, which, together with her love for the revolutionary Felipe, sends her into a new world of danger and heroism. Analysing and challenging social norms of class and gender, The Inhabited Woman is an excellent combination of theory and story that entraps you so that you won't want to put it down.
on 25 February 1997
The Inhabited Woman is a beautifully written story. It takes place in an unspecified Central American country. Briefly, it intertwines the story of a modern-day young woman with a woman warrior fighting the Spanish Conquistadores. The spirit of the warrior grows into an orange tree in the woman's yard, and eventually enters her body to share her experience. The story blends romance, revolution, history and spirituality, exploring the role of women in each. One of the most enjoyable books I have read of late.
on 25 August 1998
This was the first book I ever read in Spanish and was a magical, captivating read. I was in Guatemala and my Spanish teacher suggested that I could read it over the course of two weeks, which I sincerely doubted at 300+ pages. But, it drew me in and I couldn't put it down -- I was amazed that I could cry from reading a novel in a foreign language. I did have to finish reading it within two weeks, because I didn't own it, and I couldn't buy it at the time in Guatemala (1992) because it was too subversive. I did buy it in a later trip to Mexico, along with other Latin American books. For the woman who asked whether anyone knows where to get the Spanish version -- I'm unwilling to sell, but mine was published in 1989 by Editorial Diana, S.A. de C.V., Roberto Gayal 1219, C.P. 03100, Mexico, DF -- ISBN 968-13-1280-5
on 7 May 1997
Once every few years, you find a book that you know you can recommend to anyone with a good conscience. For me, this has been the book for the last year and a half. It is absolutely a fabulous book about self confidence, deciding your own future, and being independent yet not viewed as such by society and not free of the context society has created. I have given this book away with abandon, and never regretted it. If anyone ever finds it in Spanish, I'm interested in buying it (have looked all over, can't find).
on 10 September 2010
I read this book after Belli's memoire "The Counrty under my Skin" which I had really enjoyed. While reading "Inhabited woman" I kept thinking I know the story and was kind of reading again her memoire in a novel version with a different ending.
on 4 June 1999
I fell in love with this book from page 1. Lavinia and Itza became the greatest of all my heroines. For me, reading this book was a novel experience of connecting with that part of myself that wants to change the world, with the warrior. Unfortunately, I don't know what to read next: nothing is that good.Marcela Paz
on 18 February 1999
Outstanding and powerful story about a woman who gives up her own life for the liberty and freedom of others. Masterfully written, describing not only this century's events in many Latin American countries but also the oppression and abuse by the Spanish colonizers over the indigenous people of the Americas.