Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 March 1999
Maggie Osborne kept this reader guessing until the very end in this tense, page-turning historical romance. A Stranger's Wife hooked me from the first moment, made me care - even made me cry. A deeply satisying romance in the best tradition of Maggie Osborne herself, even the minor characters are well-defined. And the conflicted Quinn, kingmaker Paul, and heroine Lily/Miriam, with her steel-strong determination and soft heart, are three of the most memorable people I have ever met in historical fiction.
A Stranger's Wife also reminds this reader of Pygmalion - and even of Jane Eyre. A definite must read - and a keeper!
Does Paul get his own book? I think he needs one!
on 19 April 1999
There is just something about the stories that Ms. Osbourne writes that strikes a chord with me. The Promise of Jenny Jones, and now this story, A Stranger's Wife, are both wonderfully written and tell an interesting story. Quinn and Lily weave a tale that will make you chuckle and frown, smile and want to read more.
Our heroine far outshines our hero in this story, but that's ok because we learn to love them both. Quinn has his own problems, one of his biggest being a moral kind of guy running for politics in the late 1800's. Although Ms. Osbourne tries to shead Quinn as a self-centered, ruthless character, too many bleading heart liberal ideas flow out and ruin this effect. This leads the ending to be not quite as surprising as it could have been otherwise. Lily, on the other hand is a down to earth kind of gal, who is enjoyable to read about. She has spunk and grit, and though life has thrown her a bunch of curveballs, she manages to hit homeruns.
Although I like Ms. Osbourne's writing style, that is probably the only criticism that I have with the story. As an easy reading story, this book is great. I tend to gravitate to books with more intricate plots and lots of details (ie Diana Gabaldon's books) so this was a little TOO light. Even so, don't miss this one!!!!
on 24 June 1999
I love a Cinderella story, and Maggie Osbourne has outdone herself with this one. Great characters, great settings, great story . . . I couldn't put it down. Wonderful book!
on 23 September 2007
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. It had a great theme, and storyline.
The only thing I didn't appreciate was the rather forced ending. It felt like Maggie Osborne was running out of words and had to force an ending, which for me marred what could have been an excellent story/book.
Maggie, your ending was too abrupt.