on 17 December 2016
Enjoyed the subjects and the plots and the twists n turns in this book. Though it's written pre-Mobile Phones etc the content carries the reader from page to page regardless until we forget to notice any timezone which is always proof of a truly good read so Thank You Mr McBain, as is the synonym of the Day...
Another well written 87th book read them with relish. Looking forward to the next. They don't write them like it anymore .
on 26 May 2017
American crime novel, no violence, a short book which i read quickly.
Didnt have the wow factor, but i enjoyed it and will read more of his books.
Good holiday reading.
on 11 May 2017
not read yet
on 19 December 2013
I used to be a fan of Ed McBain's years ago but found this dated and 'ploddy' compared with today's authors of criminal fiction. Of course the book was written before New technology was a gleam in the techie's eye. Worth a read.
on 28 February 2015
As slow moving story line with a basically far too obvious plot. It is hardly worth a recommendation. I wouldn't bother with this author again.
on 26 April 2014
I thought I would try this author as I enjoy well written crime. I was not impressed. I felt I was part of a sleasy area of a dirty city.
on 25 August 2014
brilliant
on 6 October 2013
This was my first Ed McBain 87th Precinct novel and one of the most satisfying reads in a long time. I couldn't wait to pick it back up and be back with the characters and plot. The writing is economical the plot really well thought out. It moves at a fast pace and keeps you guessing with a series of plot turns and reveals.

The characters have depth and really work well together, held together by great dialogue. They have substance and that air of reality. Although written some time ago, the style is fresh and engaging.

I loved it and can't wait to start my next in the 87th Precinct series. I will always have affection for Bread as my first introduction to McBain's work.
on 22 April 2013
Exactly the genre and old style I was looking for.Great joy to revisit the real old masters of crime writing when squad detectives still rolled their sleeves up, loosened their collars and ties, drank endless coffee, sometimes thumped suspects AND went and solved homicides without mobile phones or whizz-kid iPad technology. PHONE kiosks had to be used and cameras used film! Remember those days???