on 28 April 2010
I absolutely love this book! I am in my early 40's and only just beginning to play with make-up, I know, can you believe it!? As a teenager I always felt that I made such a hash of putting on make up and really didn't know where to begin anyway or how to choose colours to suit me. I ended up leaving it by the wayside, apart from a little mascara and lipstick/gloss from time to time and on special occasions. However, just a month or so ago I felt inspired to look into it again and asked somebody to recommend a book, to help get me started on the basics. This make-up manual by Bobbi Brown was suggested and within days I had ordered it from Amazon ..... now there's no looking back. It has greatly demystified the use of make-up for me and shown me how to build up from a strong foundation (no pun intended). It is my bible of the moment and I refer to it frequently. This would be a fabulous gift for anyone new to make up, teenage daughters, nieces, grandaughters etc or anybody who would just like a good reference guide for the basics. I am having such fun playing now, experimenting to find colours that suit me, textures, tools etc and am already improving in confidence with my make-up choices, application and on a personal level as I look in the mirror and sometimes actually love what I see! It's amazing what a little make-up can do. I highly highly recommend this book with no reservation. I must admit, Bobbi doesn't always go into as much detail as I would like. For example: I would like more pictures to show exactly how to contour the eyes, instead of a few words telling you what you can do. I have also bought Jemma Kidd's 'Make-up Masterclass' book as an additional reference book and the two seem to complement each other very well. Overall though, if I was picking one book on make-up and how to apply it, this would definitely be 'the one'.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2016
I purchased this book because i wanted to know more about cosmetics, skin care and wanted to learn how to do at least basic make up, because i had no clue about it!

Bobbi Brown Make Up manual is not only about Make up, but also includes information much deeper - skincare basics, with information how to look after your skin, how to hydrate, moisturise it, which vitamins to take, how to make your skin, nails and hair healthy.

It also includes information and very clear step by step tips for make up.
Information about brushes, cosmetic products, expiry dates, which for me was new! I love chapter about skincare, because it holds information how ti analyze skin conditions, how to identify skin types, how to look properly after skin and most important - tells about ingredients in the cosmetics and how they work. Which foods to eat to have healthy skin, how to prepare your skin for make up.

I would say this book is perfect for begginers like me because beautiful skin starts from inside, from what you eat and what you put on your skin.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2009
...the fact that a huge chunk of this book is dedicated to people wanting to do make-up as a living ? I was really disappointed to find such a large part of the book was just a career guide for make-up artists - this isn't why I bought the book. And 'tricks of the trade' ? I'd love to know what tips there were - there was not one work-through example of how to make up someone for television/film/fashion photography, just photographs of stuff that had been done, with no explanation of how it had been done. And two pages on celebrities, so that the author could publish 15 photos of herself with her famous clients ?
The make-up advice at the front of the book was pretty good, although there are definite errors, resulting in a disjoint between what is in the picture, and what is being described in the text.
Buy this from Amazon at the cheap price, don't spend £20. I'd return my copy except it looks worn already.
11 Comment| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2008
I've just received this and have only skimmed through it, but from what I've read so far, it is absolutely brilliant. A brilliant abc on makeup artistry, equipment needed, skin, face, lips, eyes, ten-step guide to perfect makeup, etc. Beautiful pictures, well written comprehensive makeup and skin care guide, in simple layman terms. Something that I'll treasure forever.
on 21 January 2009
I had looked at the previous reviews for this book before purchasing and was looking forward to learning something new from one of the hottest make-up artists in the industry. However, I was to be sorely disappointed when the book arrived and I had a chance to flick through it.

I had been expecting lots of hints and tips, and inspiration to help me acheive new looks or skills with my products. I suppose their were hints and tips, but I found that many of them were ones that were widely available through the bobbi brown website or internet. The make up pages seem very general and overly simplified and details were lacking in the areas that i was particularly interested in.

I think this is probably a good book for someone new to make-up, such as a teenager, and perhaps of interest to anyone looking for some light reading about how to get into the profession. But in my opinion, anyone with half a mind to look things up on the internet or 30 odd years of personal make-up experience, this is a waste of money!
on 8 January 2017
This book arrived in time for Christmas which I was really happy about. It was for my daughter and was on her wish list.

I bought the Hardbook as I thought it would look nicer on her bookshelf and they stand up to wear and tear a lot better.

The book is quite informative and I would say it is more for people new to make up and want a reference guide and maybe don't want to trawl through hours of youtube videos.

My daughter is very much into her make up and trying out new techniques and she was very happy with this book.
on 23 December 2008
I really enjoyed this book. It's packed full of really good quality photos and great expert tips. The book runs in sequence, so you learn about concealer, for example, before eye make up. All in all, a fantastic book that i will use again and again. Her best book yet!
on 3 January 2014
I have never been good or got the hang of doing my makeup however in the past year or so i've taken an interest in it. My cousin bought this book for me for Christmas and I cannot rave about it enough. Although a lot of the book (probably half) contain things that are irrelevant to me ie. bridal makeup, makeup artistry, etc. I still read through them cause they contain great tips. This book is my bible! My makeup looks great and i've got all my tips out of this book. The other thing I like about this book is that they don't try to talk you into buying Bobbi Brown makeup or brushes which makes me feel like the author is genuinely trying to give makeup tips rather than just another way to convince people to buy their products. For the price I think this book is amazing and I would 100% recommend. But do bare in mind the amount of pages that you probably will not use is quite high, however, still contain many usefl tips if you take the time to read through.
on 17 January 2015
Nothing I couldn't find on the internet and would be much more detailed and informative too. Not very impressed :( Don't even know much about make up and I find the book to have far too little information and some of it is just weird :/
on 13 October 2012
I was looking forward to receiving this book due to the high brand name but unfortunately it was completely disappointing. The make up tips towards the beginning of the book are standard, easy looks which can be done using common sense. I would expect anyone who applies make-up to be aware of these simple daily application guides. If you are looking for something a bit more in depth, or for some guides that aren't readily available online or in a magazine this is not the book for you!! Maybe a good present, for a child but all of these looks can be achieved by playing around with your every day make up. I am going to try and re-sell this and will put careful consideration and research in next time before buying any specialized make up books..