on 13 February 2006
This lovely book is about Petra's rise to success from growng up in the communist Czech Republic to becoming a supermodel in Paris, Milan, New York and London. She meets her soul mate - Siddy - a photographer in London and falls in love. It is no literary master piece, nor does it pretend to be. It starts and finishes with a very personal account of Petra and Siddy experiencing the Tsunami, Boxing day 2004. Lets just say, I finished this book in tears and my boyfriend was woken at 3am with me telling him I loved him.
on 14 February 2006
A true story of courage and the discovery of life's hidden gifts. Tsunami, 26th December 2004, enormous catastrophy that has shocked the world and forever changed the lives of many, many people. Among them is a world best known model Petra Nemcova, who didn't have a chance to even say goodbye to the love of her life, photographer Simon Atlee whos life was taken by the disastrous waves of tsunami. The book is an autobiography, inspired by the true love that in her eyes will never die. Its the story of her life, starting from the bottom as a girl who went from a communist-controlled childhood in Czechoslovakia to the cover of Sports Illustrated, becoming one of the world's most wanted models. Its a story of true love, surviving all the pressures of glamourous world of fashion. And at the end, its a great message of how our life can change in a second, how important it is to treasure every given moment and how even if loosing our dearest ones, we have to go further as life goes on. There are plenty people loosing 'Simon' every second as we speak, but I'm sure that what forever stays alive is - Love Always.
on 5 February 2013
I have come across this book randomly long time ago but recently when myself experienced loss although on a different level I finally decided to read it. Petra's life how different to mine, yet we are all in the same position when facing tragedy. This book is a beautiful account for love and loss at the same time. I so much symphatise and I cried endless tears reading this book, which again reminded me how life is fragile and we should not be blinded by things which seem so little relevant because we do not know when what we have will come to an end. The writing is quite simple but I guess it is meant to be and tells just a story of many stories that have not been told. Of course Petra had great resources to bounce back and not all of us have this opportunity but she also continues to make a difference in her life as she got another chance to live. We cannot change the past but we can accept it and change the future.