on 21 April 2001
I did enjoy "Talking to Addison" as a light weight read but Ms Colgan seemed to run out of steam as the plot moved from the sublime to the ridiculous. Addison was sweet, but some of the other themes were a bit heavy handed and unbelievable, which of course would be gladly forgiven for the laughs, but the laughs dried out and you were left with an impossibly silly plot and paper thin characters. Jenny Colgan is a talented writer who shouldn't sell herself short in this way. Funny, sweet but not funny or sweet enough.
on 5 February 2001
I was really looking forward to this, after Amanda's Wedding, which was sharp and funny without being too predictable. However, I was really disappointed with Talking to Addison. The book just meanders and goes nowhere, and when the plot finally kicks in it is very weak. I didn't relate at all to the characters, who were really one-dimensional. Don't waste your time reading it. Let's hope her next one is more like Amanda's Wedding.
on 26 December 2000
I got given this book for Christmas and finished it this morning (Boxing day). I really enjoyed the book and it was very easy to read. The main character Holly is easy to identify with and her flatmates are the typical weird mixture of characters that always seem to end up living together. The first half of the book i got through immediately, but i did get a little bit bored when Addison was in hospital and everyone starts to feel sorry for themselves. It does get better again towards the end and it is a nice change to read a book where none of the characters complain about their looks, but are not all drop dead gorgeous either. All the characters are believable real people - probably why i enjoyed it so much. Although i did get some funny looks from laughing out loud a few times. I recommend this book for when you have a day off to read it all at once. I'm now going to buy Jenny Colan's other books.
A very amusing, witty and light-hearted read with a fairly good storyline. The humour is very much a young persons sort of humour so not really a book that I'd pass to mum, unless mum is Jo Brand style!
on 2 February 2001
After Amanda's wedding, which I adored, I rushed to buy Jenny Colgan's new one. I think the author is very clever, and as I said, her story ideas are very original, you could spot her easily from the 'herd'. Being married to a 'computer nerd' myself, I found the topic very adequate for today's high-tech world, and women that live with it every day. Unfortunately, the action does not seem to go anywhere for very long periods. Although I had a few brief laughs, I found myself reading and reading without bumping on any new situations. To top it off, everything solves in few pages, plus I thought the ending was very disappointing. I would still go and buy her next book, but that will be the last chance. Sorry Jenny!!
on 19 June 2010
I'm such a huge fan of chick-lit but I stumbled across this book by accident and loved it from the beginning to the end. The main character, Holly despite her age (28) has a habit of acting her shoe size when it comes to work, relationships and just life in general, but this leads to heaps of snappy one liners and laugh-out-loud moments. The plot becomes bizzare as the book continues but it only leads to more comedic opportunities. I found myself not being able to put it down and totally sympathised with Holly and all her relationships especially with Addison.

It's original, witty, intuitive and entertaining - I enjoyed it thoroughly, such a good girly read to waste some time! I recommend it.
on 16 January 2001
I read this book over the weekend and while i wouldn't say it's the best book i've ever read, it's not bad. It's just all a bit too 'flatmatey' and predictable. there are some scenes which are really good, other bits left me cold. Better than Amanda's Wedding which really annoyed me a lot. I think Jenny Colgan the author could write a brilliant book one day but she needs to stop thinking about going for jokes in every single sentence and concentrate on a better story. It's not bad though.
on 19 March 2007
This book is one of them that you'll either love it or hate it. If you like a little romance, an easy read and a bit of a dreamy girl in it who always dreams about her and Addision being together and can relate to it then this is the book for you. I wouldn't say this book would relate to the more mature person as its a very 20's 30's something book. Its very predictable at times but a good read never the less.
on 12 February 2001
Amanda's Wedding was a laugh a minute - this began as a laugh but became a drag from quite early on. The problem was that I had no feeling of empathy with any of the characters - a wimpy heroine who couldn't fight her own battles, physical or mental; a career bitch; a weak boy with no personal direction; and Addison himself was an implausible computer freak - why would he attract her? There were lines that were clever and funny, but sadly too many that weren't. The story did not work for me at all.
on 29 February 2016
This book is advertised as 'used - very good' but when it arrived I found that the book was really dirty with a horrible black sticky substance on the front cover. The book is still readable but I don't think I will bother reading it myself as the dirt is just off putting. Sorry to the seller but I don't even think a charity shop would accept this as a donation.