Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
Part of a saga and I'm a pushover for a saga. Competently written, the expected romance and hot love scenes and entertaining for a day or two as I wanted.
on 16 November 2008
All authors are gifted. They just give their presents at different times. Ok, ok, Elizabeth Hoyt frequently gives her readers presents, but I must confess I thought the author's previous release TO TASTE TEMPTATION was a little disappointing. However, this time, Ms. Hoyt rebounded and gives her readers a "Neiman Marcus" type present! TO SEDUCE A SINNER is topnotch.

Mini Synopsis:
He was Jasper Renshaw, the Viscount Vale, and Melisande wanted him. He possessed the ability to make a woman feel beautiful and desired and while she stood on life's sidelines, Melisande Fleming had fallen hopelessly in love! Then suddenly her fantasy became a reality. Lord Vale was now her husband! But Melisande understood she must proceed slowly, for never would she allow her husband to discover how deep her love was.

Jasper Renshaw greatly admired his new wife. Although, twenty-eight-year-old Melisande Fleming was not a beauty, she certainly was memorable. The woman had a quick mind and a direct manner and refreshingly, was unlike any woman he'd ever known. However, he knew he would continue on alone, for never would he allow his new wife to discover what a despicable creature he was.

Reviewer's Comments:
Sigh . . . two lonely people slowly gaining deep affection and warm feelings toward one another. Now this is romance! And the best part? Although, the plot's backdrop is painful and foreboding, Elizabeth Hoyt manages to throw in some dandy moments of delicious humor! What a great touch Ms. Hoyt - Sir Mouse, Melisande's little dog, is perfect!

TO SEDUCE A SINNER is a lovely romance, with wonderful love scenes, a great hero and heroine, and just the right blend of humor and sorrow. For a cozy November night, do treat yourself! Elizabeth Hoyt gives her reader a gem. A personal note: TO BEGUILE A BEAST (release date May 2009) is all ready on my pre-ordered list and that, in itself, says it all!

Grade: A
Status: Keeper Shelf
Sensuality: Hot
MaryGrace Meloche.
on 9 November 2008
Jasper (Lord Vale) is tormented about the war there was a traitor who caused almost everyone in the regiment to die. He is jilted at the altar and accepts a proposal from Melissande. She is trully a heroine whom i enjoyed reading and her interactions with her husband Jasper only made him want to know her more. She is a simple woman yet loyal, kind, patient and independent. She has her secrets and he has his. It is a very good read except i am not sure that some of the language were used during that historical period. Look out for the 3rd installement To Beguile A Beast. Melissande befriends (Helen) the mistress of an Earl and when Helen needs help Melissande sends her to Scotland with her 2 children.
on 16 August 2010
I really enjoyed this book and I thought this the best out of the quartet of books of legend of the four soldiers - so good that I read twice in the week I got it.
I liked the idea of the main characters being married at the beginning of the book and Melisande being the one to seduce Lord Vale rather then the usual man-seduces-innocent-woman scenario. Also I liked how Melisande helps to heal Vale, but not in an overly soppy way. It was very romantic and had some great love scenes.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I think I will read it again, but I wouldn't say the same of the other three books of the series.
on 16 November 2014
Another great read from this series! Exceptional plot, lots of twists keeping up the tension and plenty of passion.

Brilliantly created characters, strong yet flawed making you empathize with them and making them believable. Loved Jasper he was a true hero, as was Melissand in her own sensitive way. The little dog was lovely too, he played his part in the love story.

The story is still keeping us guessing about the traitor, this means I'll have to read the rest of the series.... " such a chore".....LOL!
I loved this series of books.

Lord Jasper Renshaw, although apparently a rake in his past, was an excellent man as a husband and that's always a plus for me. Even before he realized he was in love with Melisandre, he treated her with respect and kindness. I absolutely loved him as portrayed by Ms. Hoyt in particular his sense of humor.

I truly enjoyed Melisandre's character. Seemingly shy and retiring, she had a depth that came out when it was needful. After all, she had the gumption to propose marriage to the man she had loved from the sidelines for 6 years. He, on the other hand, didn't think she was all that beautiful - plain actually, but he always treated her with respect and I loved how he called her "dearest" all the time.

Best scene from the book - when he pressed Melisandre into telling him why she wanted to marry him. His answer, while he made love to her, was one of the best scenes in the book.
on 6 May 2014
This is the story of Jasper Renshaw, the Viscount Vale, and Melisande Fleming, he had returned from the Spinners Fall massacre with lots of baggage and she had loved him from afar for a long time. Then came the chance for her to offer him her hand in marriage and as all others seemed to have deserted him he accepts. The story then goes on to discover his secrets about Spinners Fall and the further investigations into discovering the traitor and the blosoming of the romance between the two. I really enjoyed this book as I have all of the series.
on 7 March 2010
The story was quite good. However, I had problems in believing that the hero (Lord Vale) really is heroic, because his biggest achievements seemed to be taming a little terrier...
on 24 November 2013
I adore reading Mary Balogh books and now I have found another gripping author to read in Elizabeth Hoyt. Excellent reads - keep up the good work.
on 23 April 2014
One of the best books I have read in recent months. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.